Replacing BeatBuddy Mini DIN Socket with TRS Midi

As much as I fear modding a pedal, I really hate the prone to disconnect mini din connector.

Rear mounted jack is a nice benefit at well.

1 Like

One day all Midi’s will be TRS…

My OCD would not let me sleep before installing a second one.

3 Likes

have a good night’s sleep :sleeping:

1 Like

:+1::+1:

4 posts were split to a new topic: Can I replace a BeatBuddy surface mounted inductor?

Hello,
Thank you for the photos and comments.
On the diagram it is a back of the connections?
Sorry, if there are any mistakes, but I go through a translator because I am French
Many thanks in advance

Whoops !!
On the diagram is a rear view of the connections?
Sorry, if there are any mistakes, but I go through a translator because I am French
Thank you

Hello @Saxodany
What I’ve made was connecting a midi cable Male-Male to the the adapter from Singular Sound. Then I tested the connections between the printed circuit and the end of midi cable. So the answer is, the diagram is the view from the front.
Anyway, you just have to be concerned that you connect T to the tip, R to the ring and G to ground of your stereo jack. Hope this helps you. If not, please insist.

Good evening, it’s super nice to help me. But I don’t understand something, on the BB there is only one PS / 2 output (midi connection). But on your diagram there are 2 x PS / 2? On the other hand, if you understand correctly in the diagram the PS / 2 sockets are not presented on the soldering side? Thanks again

On the diagram I did not represented the PS/2 socket. Instead, I connected the Singular Sound Beatbuddy Midisync cable that makes the conversion from PS/2 to 2 x Din 5-pin and mapped the points in printed circuit (where the PS/2 socket is soldered) directly to the two Din 5-pin Midi In and Out. In fact that scheme was just to identify the current source (pin 4), shield (pin 2) and data (pin 5)
That was the only information you needed If you wanted to install standard Din 5-pin sockets in the Bestbuddy box (I think thats impossible due to lack of space).
In fact I wanted to install TRS Type A connection as used by Boss, Line 6, Korg and IK Multimedia. For that I used the conversion from pins to TRS plug 5-Tip, 4-Ring and 2-Sleeve as you can see in following image
I did draw the rear view of my TRS sockets on the right side of the scheme identifying the solder points with T-Tip, R-Ring and G-Ground/Shield. Of course, TRS sockets from diferent manufacturers may look diferent. You may have to find the correct solder points for tip, ring and shield by yourself.

great thanks a lot. But my BB is still on warranty that’s why I wanted to make my PS / 2 and 2 x TRS (RC-5 side).
I put my first cable attempt that I have to redo.
Do I have to buy a BB midi cable?
knowing that I already have all the connections to solder.

Please refer to this connection…

hey there what a genius idea, this would be so helpful if you had
a step by step video guide on BB mods as i would be so scared to even open mine up lol & wouldn’t know where to even begin? asking from all the way from nz…

1 Like

Hello,
I was happy to read the report above about the conversion of the midi socket. I also want to rebuild my bb because I have more and more midi failures because the plug slips out. Singular Sound should have responded much earlier! However I still have a question: does the old midi socket still work after the conversion or will it be shut down? If so, can I still keep it working?

1 Like

hi @897 your existing midi socket will still work as normal after this modification.
we are just running parallel connections from the required pins.

Thank you for your information!

1 Like

do I have to make a connection between ground midi-in and midi-out?

You will want ground, but you could pull ground from elsewhere. Doubt the different ground points will matter in this application. YMMV.

The MIDI specification requires ground to be connected only on the transmitter end. You should not connect pin 2 between the MIDI IN and OUT sockets. The specification actually says “Do not connect any pins of the MIDI IN jack directly to ground.” Note that this includes the cable shield.

There is a technical addendum to the MIDI specification which allows for optional grounding via a capacitor. This can improve EMI/EMC performance and RF grounding. Usually such a solution would also include matching ferrite beads to effectively build a LCR filter circuit with the desired characteristics.

tl;dr: Do NOT connect MIDI IN to ground.