Transitions after 1 bar

How does the beat buddy decide if it’s going to play the entire transition fill or not? I understand that you’re supposed to hold the transition until the last measure and then release, but sometimes (for some songs) it will play the 2 bar transition without me holding the button. Is it if the main part is the same length as the transition part? I’ve mostly noticed on some premium songs. November Rain has a 2 bar transition fill that usually plays through even with a “normal” long press and release for the transition.

With looping, sometimes I can’t dedicate a foot to a specific pedal for 2 or 3 measures. Is there a way to just say “Play the full transition and then move to the next part” whenever I trigger a transition?

I believe it depends on how much time you give the BB to play the fill. If you are late triggering the transition, then it plays whatever it can of the fill given the amount of time that it has before the next part has to start so that everything stays in time. I could be wrong, but that is how it seems to work.

edit- Sorry, I just realized that you said a 2 bar fill. My only experience is with 1 bar fills so I am actually not sure how that is supposed to work.

1 Like

Exactly (sort of). The transition or fill starts when you press the pedal and ends at the end of the bar during which you release the pedal. So let go by the “4” and you should be fine.

This is somewhat affected by the “Start Transition On” setting in the pedal (I think that’s what it’s called). Most easy to use are Immediately" and “Next Beat.”

@JoeInOttawa Yeah I get how it works for 1 bar transitions, but sometimes (mostly for 2 bar transitions) it seems to play the entire transition without me holding the press until the 2nd bar starts.

But then other times I try to build songs to make it do that, and it’ll just play 1 bar of the transition and move on. I’d like to understand what makes the beat buddy do that on the songs where it plays it.

Again, this is only for multi-bar transitions.

Fair enough, I have occasionally noticed some weird alchemy going on there. I wonder if it has something to do with whether or not the final bar includes an extra “1” (i.e., the cymbal crash)…

1 Like

That is an interesting thought. I’ll do some testing this week and report back!

If you can give us a list of the offending songs we can look into this, also if you can show us a video of the behavior on your end that is always helpful!

You can send an unlisted youtube video to Support@singularsound.com, let them know the link to this thread to keep track.

Thanks!

Wondering is this transition problem solve, because i have the same issue too.

In previous update, i am able to fill the transition only one bar or two bar (depends on how long i holding the main pedal), but now after updated, it seems the pedal will just play two bar transition no matter how long i holding the pedal.

For example, in Techno genre mostly have 2bars of transition, last time when i playing in live i was able to choose either i want 1 bar of transition or 2 bar, but now it seems bb will just run the whole two bar transition.

Anyone know how to fix this? I tried all transition settings in my bb, but it seems still doesn’t work.

It is very anoying when im doing in live, especially when i start transition late. Please help (T.T)

I haven’t noticed it doing it since I upgraded to 4.x. I was on a later 3.x when I was having that problem.

You could modify the fills to be 1 bar. I don’t think there’s a way to force a shortened transition.

I know modify the file to 1 bar , but i really hope to keep that 2 choice transition, that’s just nice for me tho

I downgraded it back to 3.8 and the force transition problem is gone. Dont know if it’s solved, but hope singular sound can fix this in new firmware.

So your workflow is this:

2 measure song part with a 2 measure transition…you want both measure of the transition if you trigger in the first bar of the part, and just the second bar of the transition if you trigger in the second bar of the transition? Like the measure counter would be locked together?

Nonono, what my meaning is, in some default song like techno, from part 1 you want transition to part 2 , u can either trigger 1 bar of transition or 2 bar of transition ( depends on how long you holding the transition). But its okay, i already downgraded it :rofl:

Could you clarify if the issue is still there in 4.1.3? You seem to both be giving conflicting reports and I want to make sure there’s not a bug that needs to be fixed

Let me know thanks!

My issue (When I first got my BB, was running 3.9 something): On multi-measure transitions, sometimes only the last measure would play and not the whole transition. It seemed like if it had the extra crash on beat 1 after the end of the transition then it was more likely to always play the full transition. Otherwise it was a crapshoot if you’d get the full thing or just the last bar prior to changing parts.

Since upgrading to 4.0 I have NOT experienced this problem.

If I’m understanding the other issue correctly, it sounds like the behavior above is what the other guy wants, because sometimes he does want the 2+ bar transition to only be 1 bar. So pre-4 (with the bug) is working as desired for him. 4.0+ (with the bug fixed) is working as desired for me.