Troubleshooting the MIDI Maestro EXP Pedal

Can any Expression Pedal be used with the Midi Maestro to control BB volume or is there a particular brand that is required.

a TRS one

1 Like

I have the latest firm ware installed on my Mini Maestro and have attempted several times to get my expression pedal to use for volume control of the beat buddy. I go through the processes described on the web site, but it never takes. Sugestions?

Hey there,

Consider reaching out to support@singularsound.com with your issue so they can assist you!

Thanks for reporting

I go linto support@singularsound.com to try to get help with the above issue but canā€™t find a link to get in touch with a tech person. Suggestions appreciated.

Hey there, you would have to email support directly using that email address

Have you already emailed them?

I have but did not get an answer. I will try again, thanks

No need to try again just let support get back to you, it usually takes 2-3 days

@Jojosmusic The last email we received from your email address was 3 months ago. We responded to it, but never received a response. It is possible it ended up in your spam. Please email us again to our support email, and let us know here when you have done so, so we can check our inbox.

Will do. thanks for the rapid response.

I tried to send a detailed mail to www.support@singularsound.com. attached.
|### Joe Graham sanjoproductions84@gmail.com|11:25 AM (5 minutes ago)||

|
| ā€” | ā€” | ā€” |
|to www.support

|

I up to date on the latest firmware at 1.9. My problem is that I have my BB connected to my Midi Maestro and an Expression Pedal. When I first set everything up I followed the directions to calibrate the footswitch. Later I saw that the footswitch could be used for a Volume control on BB. This would be most helpful to me as when playing through a performance I constantly have to bend down to adjust the drum volume depending on the song selection. Iā€™ve tried several times to follow the quick guide on how to do this but everytime I do the pedal still operates as a BPM control rather than a volume control. Not the most tech savvy person on the planet and canā€™t figure out what Iā€™m doing wrong. Can you suggest anything that would help resolve this issue or is there anyone else that has experienced the same.

Thanks in advance

Joe G
I tried to send this but got a message back that said it was blocked due to organizational settings. What does this mean???

If you tried to send it to that address, it explains why it bounced.

You need to send it to this address: support@singularsound.com (donā€™t use the ā€œwww.ā€ in the email address).

Iā€™m also interested in this. Iā€™m considering buying an expression pedal, but it seems that there can be multiple wiring option between TRS pedals as written in here.

I guess the calibration with MM handles the internal resistance, so that is not a problem :thinking: And Iā€™d guess linear taper works the best :relieved: But which wiring the MM is expecting, or can it detect it somehow? :upside_down_face:

I searched ā€œexpressionā€ from the manual and this was not mentioned anywhere :sweat_smile:

A Quick Lock Volume pedal was recommended to me. But still canā€™t get it to do anything but control the BPM from BB.

Iā€™m using a Dunlop Volume (X) pedal connected via a TRS cable to the MIDI Maestro. I am using firmware 1.1.9 and the 1.70 app on iOS. I successfully configured my setup just now to change the volume of a beat on the BeatBuddy and it wasnā€™t all that hard. But thereā€™s a slight twist. Iā€™m lazy and wanted to take the least amount of steps to get the Maestro and an expression pedal to control the BeatBuddy volume so hereā€™s the steps I followed:

1. Followed Brennanā€™s instructions for calibrating the expression pedal MIDI Maestro Firmware 1.1.9 and MM apps 1.6.x and I chose the Positional Mode.
  2. I then clicked on the Maestro app > Hamburger menu > Browse Custom Modes and scrolled down to AerosBeatBuddy Exp Pedal Volumeā€¦ and downloaded it using the Maestro app.
  3. I watched and followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgS48CJOZeY (wow, she talks so quickly :joy: that I had to turn on closed captions and watch it a couple of times).
  4. It took around 3 minutes to download the setting to the Maestro and after I cycled the power on the Maestro, I tested the volume on the BeatBuddy. Shazam~it worked. Youā€™ll be able to see the volume on the BeatBuddy being changed and hear the difference.
1 Like

An Expression pedal is usually intended to have a TRS cable connection (Roland, Boss, KORG, and Yamaha expression pedals are typically TRS). It appears that the Quick-Lok Volume pedal may have two TS connection jacks if its this one I found on Amazon. Not sure this would work, but read on.

This volume pedal works differently than an expression pedal in that an audio signal goes in one jack and out the other. In between the jacks is a potentiometer (variable resistor) that controls the volume (signal level).

An expression pedal also uses a potentiometer, but by way of a TRS cable connection a voltage from the device that is being controlled is applied to one end of the potentiometer in the expression pedal (ring connection shown in diagram). The ā€˜wiperā€™ of the potentiometer is connected to the tip of the TRS jack can vary the voltage that goes back to the device being controlled which in turn controls the ā€˜expressionā€™.

Itā€™s been suggested that a TRS type expression pedal be used with the Maestro for expression, but looking at the Maestro specs it kind of infers the expression pedal jack on the Maestro might be a TS jack .

Singularā€™s siteā€¦
Other I/O - 1 x 1/4" (Expression), 1 x 14" TRS (Footswitch)

From B&H Photoā€™s siteā€¦
Audio I/O
1x 1/4" TS Input (Expression)
1x 1/4" TRS Input (Footswitch)

The Quick Lok Volume pedal ā€˜mightā€™ work, but is not typical of how a majority of expression pedals are designed.

Which one? They have mono, stereo, and universal volume pedals :thinking:

Edit: I guess the universal, as it has a polarity switch and only one TRS cable (no separate input and output) :smile: Itā€™s very hard to find any info online that are Quik Lok volume pedals linear or logarithmic :thinking:

Since you can control BPM it means the pedal you have works, now itā€™s just that you need to upload the volume configuration via Bluetooth and the app as others have suggested :relieved:

I just swapped the TRS patch cable for a TS patch cable and the TS cable does not work. The TRS cable does work.

Perhaps Brennan could confirm that the SS and B&H specs are in error. It would make more sense for the connection to be TRS to accommodate most standard expression pedals.

The Maestro manual I downloaded goes into detail about the footswitch TRS connection, but nothing about the expression pedal(?)

Found a pic of the insides of the Maestro. It appears the Expression jack is a TRS.

1 Like