MIDI Maestro Firmware 1.1.9 and MM apps 1.6.x

Greetings Maestros of MIDI!

There is a new version of the app available, v1.7.x!

We have just released MIDI Maestro Firmware Version 1.1.9 and MIDI Maestro apps version 1.6.1 for iOS and Android

You can find the manuals here

The biggest change is that the MIDI Maestro and the MIDI Maestro app now support sending a ‘Positional’ EXP pedal value, allowing for control of the BeatBuddy Volume, for example.

We have also improved the app and brought back (and fixed) the sharing and downloading of modes and commands online.

You must update your smartphone app first, and then update the firmware and default modes to use the new features in these versions.

EXP Pedal Setup

The app can set up what commands will be sent as the EXP pedal is manipulated when using the Custom Mode. You can find this setup page in the menu. On the setup page you will see a dropdown option at the top allowing you to set the EXP pedal mode.

Note: You must be on app version 1.6.0 or later and on MIDI Maestro firmware versions 1.1.9 or later for this to work.

There are two possible setups:

• Positional - The EXP pedal will send the values of a single Continuous Change (CC) command based on the pedal’s current position. The app default is CC108, which controls the BeatBuddy’s volume
  • Relative - The EXP pedal will send values equal to the range of the change made when moving the Expression pedal. You can set two CC commands, one for incrementing and one for decrementing.
    • By default, the incrementing command is CC:80 and the decrementing command is CC:81; these are also the values sent when using the Aeros or BeatBuddy Default Modes. These commands control the BeatBuddy tempo.

When you are done editing the commands don’t forget to hit the ‘Save’ button to confirm the change. Every time you write the custom mode to the MIDI Maestro using the app, the EXP pedal setting for the loaded custom mode will be updated and rewritten.

Using Positional Mode

1. First, set the channel you wish to send the command on
  2. Next, set the Continuous Change (CC) command that will be sent, the values sent will be based on the position of the pedal.
  3. Save the EXP setup and write the Custom Mode to the pedal

This mode is best used for controlling things like:

• Volume
  • Wet/Dry Mix
  • Any linear parameter

You can click on the Default button to reset to the app’s default values.

Hit ‘Save’ to confirm the change

Remember, you must write the custom mode to the MIDI Maestro again for this change to be seen on the device. The EXP pedal will only exhibit this behavior when the custom mode is open on the MIDI Meastro. The Default Modes will still send the default values.

Using Relative Mode

1. First, select the increasing function, by default this is CC80
  2. Next, decide on which channel it will be sent, by default this is channel 1
  3. Do the same steps to set up the decreasing command
  4. Save the EXP setup and write the Custom Mode to the pedal

Likely both will send to the same channel

You can click on the Default button to reset to the app’s default values.

Hit ‘Save’ to confirm the change

Remember, you must write the custom mode to the MIDI Maestro again for this change to be seen on the device. The EXP pedal will only exhibit this behavior when the custom mode is open on the MIDI Meastro. The Default Modes will still send the default values.

In the app, once you download and update to version 1.6.1, you must update the firmware and the default modes for these new features to work.

Updating the MIDI Maestro

1. Update the MIDI Maestro App to the latest version in the App Store or Google Play Store
  2. Turn on your MIDI Maestro and enable Pairing Mode (hold the pairing button on the back of the unit for ~1 second). A blue LED will flash once the pairing mode is turned on.
  3. Go to the Hamburger menu in the app (top left) and select the Update Firmware option. Once the app has established connection you will see the MIDI Maestro blue Pairing LED stop flashing and turn solid blue.
  4. Allow the process to finish, the app will show the progress. Do not close the app, put your phone to sleep, turn off the MIDI Maestro, or change to another app while this is happening or you will need to restart the process.
  5. Once the firmware update is complete, you must rewrite the default modes to the device, the MIDI Maestro may turn off the BLE Pairing Mode automatically, turn the Pairing Mode back on again manually. Your MIDI Maestro screens may read EEPROM EMPTY, disregard this.
  6. In the app, reopen the hamburger menu and select the Update Default Modes option. Allow the process to finish, the app will show the progress. Do not close the app, put your phone to sleep, turn off the MIDI Maestro, or change to another app while this is happening or you will need to restart the process.
  7. Once the update is finished, power the unit off and back on again to see the update take place. You can verify the current loaded firmware on the MIDI Maestro on the bottom left screen of the main menu.
  8. Optional: Load in the custom mode currently open on the app by pressing the Upload to MIDI Maestro button in the Home screen.

Browse Custom Modes/Commands (Online Library)

You can share and redownload your modes online! Or backup and redownload your content to use across devices, even cross-platform!

Simply tap the share icon next to the mode you wish to share in the My Custom Modes screen, the app will show a small pop up once the mode has been shared successfully.

Press the download button to add the command or mode to your library!

We hope you have fun with these quality of life improvements for your device!

Changelogs

MIDI Maestro

1.1.9 Changelog

• Built in the ability to use the new Positional Expression Pedal feature

Android App

1.6.1 Changelog

• Fixed sharing and downloading modes
  • Added Positional setting for the Expression Pedal. This allows you to send the values of one CC command based on the position of the pedal when using a custom mode.
  • Added ability to create a template of the BeatBuddy or Aeros default modes on a specific channel

Bug Fixes

• Various improvements

iOS App

1.6.1 Changelog

• Updated icon for uploading to online libraries

1.6.0 Changelog

• Added the ability to reorganize commands in the commands list of the button setup screen
  • Fixed sharing and downloading modes
  • Added Positional setting for the Expression Pedal. This allows you to send the values of one CC command based on the position of the pedal when using a custom mode.
  • Added ability to create a template of the BeatBuddy or Aeros default modes on a specific channel

Bug Fixes:

• App stops duplicate commands from being redownloaded
  • App no longer replaces old commands with newly downloaded commands
  • Fixed issues when downloading modes made on Android
  • Other improvements
2 Likes

I got it and work s fine now

hosed mine. now says on top 3 screens. EEPROM INVALID. tried to re-reup. and it says it already has the latest firmware.
thanks steve for separating out the finalizing instructions.
its back up.
i did a wrong order of operations. i saw the firmware on phone was up to date then i hit to update modes, thinking it was an internal operation not a sync to MM command. then i updated firmware.

1 Like

Love it, works great, I have been waiting for the bb volume feature. SS rocks

1 Like

I’ve been trying to use maestro to control OnSong via Bluetooth BLE. Am I wasting my time? Is this still not working on iOS?
I have a full page of commands programmed for controlling OnSong running on an iPad. I changed all of these commands to send midi via Bluetooth, and disabled midi out, options that are available for programming on the iOS version of the Maestro app. Saved the updated commands each time (which I have verified several times). Reprogrammed the Midi Maestro with the updated custom mode and restarted. On testing this I found that my commands were still being sent via the midi out port and not the Bluetooth port. However I do know that the iPad is connecting to the Maestro as OnSong is set up to send PC commands for song index control, and this is successfully being passed through to my beatbuddy. It appears that the programming change to send commands via BLE is not being applied in the current version of the iOS app.

Yah its a ‘midi’ controller. I think the Bluetooth is there for SS to implement phone sync of commands. Not sure of other current uses. You would need a Bluetooth midi dongle. Not internal.?

Just want to quickly point out that the MIDI Maestro iOS app is working as expected and you can use it to control OnSong OR use the MM as BLE dongle, if you connect OnSong to the MM using BLE, you could send messages from OnSong to the MM which would convert the BLE into normal MIDI and send it to its out port

If you have an MM you don’t need a dongle!!

1 Like

So Brennan,
Any suggestions as to why my changes are not getting applied to the Maestro? I am running the latest firmware and app, but changing the commands to send over BLE doesn’t seem to stick.
Cheers,
Jim

Hey there,

That seems like some sort of issue with incompatible versions or something else

Please make sure you have the latest version in the App Store and Google Play store (FYI, unfortunately the Android version had a compatibility issue preventing new users from downloading the latest app, let me know if you are an Android user and you have not already updated in the last 2-3 months).

Once you are on the latest version of the app you must update the MIDI Maestro firmware and default modes

If you follow theses steps and are still having issues please reach out to support@singularsound.com

As already stated …. Using all the latest versions across the board. Did manage to fix the problem, though, by creating new commands and assigning them to BLE on first use things work ok. Have seen this sort of thing previously with the maestro app where the first use of a command in the app appears to lock its assignments for all time. Has caused me a great deal of pain in the use of commands when assigned to the set and release button operations - can’t get commands to reliably work in both modes - typically have to create 2 commands to do the same thing, one always used on press actions, and the other on release actions. Kinda weird, but there it is :thinking:

Hey there,

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the things that were going on the early versions of the app were corrupting the commands, in particular downloading them from the Internet or sharing and then re-downloading them, these problems have been fixed and are no longer present in the new version. However, the old command cannot be removed without being deleted manually. We did wipe the online library recently to avoid the old commands being there but it is impossible to avoid a user sharing an old defective command.

All that being said I think that the best thing to do is to delete anything that you know to be old or at the very least that you know to be problematic when you’re using it and just create a new version of that command.

We know this is tedious and we apologize for any inconvenience but this is a way to make sure that it’s not the app by recreating the commands you’re trying to use and making sure that they work as expected once you recreate them in the new version (1.6.1). All things made in 1.5.x app versions will work absolutely fine.

1 Like

This right here is what makes the MIDI Maestro better than the Morningstar that everybody in the Facebook group talks about. I just got into MIDI song selection using the Open Song app on my Android phone, and I’m loving it!

1 Like