Using the Beat Buddy live - 1.76 beta firmware version

Oh my bad, I thought you had the equipment already. I was wondering why you didn’t just try it for yourself.

No problem. I will get my PUC+ tomorrow. I already downloaded that midi flow app and the add on. So I will download your script and see if I can get it to work. I also am hoping to dissect your script so I can change a few buttons from your script mapping. Where do you get the midi commands from- i.e. if for example if I wanted to map tap tempo to a blue board button? Did you have to write support?

Here is a spreadsheet of what I believe has been implemented

Very Helpful- thanks!

This means to gig with the BB, I now have to buy an Ipad, a Puc, and a Blueboard?

Midi Setting Update From BB Tech Support- Thanks Tech Support.

If you want to gig how I gig, then yes. But everyone’s needs are different. I use the blueboard because I’m terrible at doing transitions, fills and outros using the pedal especially in a live gig; having the buttons separate makes my life easier. Because I’m the bass player, my job is a little tougher, I’m not leading, the singer is and he changes songs all the time. So I need to be able to ‘play’ the beat buddy as I would any instrument and accompany the singer.

The iPad is a god send for musicians, I don’t know how people gig without one; even if you only use it for OnSong. Personally I have a heap of fun with apps like Loopy HD, Jam Up, Drum Jam, Bias FX. Not mention utilities like strobe tuners and recording software and countless other fun toys all priced at a couple of dollars each.

The PUC+ is just an expensive MIDI cable. I like it because I like techy gadgets and spend way to much money on them, but it’s not needed really. A cheap USB-MIDI cable would do the trick just as well.

Ruairiau, I finally got my PUC+ and used your video to swipe to my next song in on song on BB as you described via midi. I did test this before asking- have you found a way to auto-connect to onsong when you power on the puc+. Each test I did today when I powered off and then back on I had to go into onsong sub menus and reconnect the PUC+ in the midi submenu. No big deal but just more clicks than I want. Just wondered if I missed something to auto connect them.

Nope, I don’t think you can auto connect to bluetooth devices. Personally I just connect either via the options in the PUC+ app or in the MIDI flow app. It’s not that much hassle as I don’t frequently turn off my iPad.

I have a question re: FW 1.77: when you send a transition midi command to the BB, can you specify the song part you want to transition to or is it as in a manual situation where you can only transition to the next song part in the sequence? Thanks, Tom

It’s just a transition to the next part. I submitted a feature request a while back to allow transitions to specific parts, hopefully they will consider it.

Would it be possible to use an android tablet running lyricpad with some hardware like blueboard?

Ruairiau - I’ve got a setup like you, with puc and Blueboard; have midiflow and downloaded your update. Button “C” on the blue board starts the MBB but none of the other buttons work. Thoughts?

The midi commands in the latest firmware let you choose to either transition to the next loop or to a specific loop, up to three loops.

But how do you handle the part in the manual that says “Transition will continue looping until value is changed to 0”. I’m using IRig Blueboard as described above and can’t get it to move off the ‘looping transition’; I have to end the song.

My midi pad software issues a command when pressed then when released. I issue is the zero when the button on the midi pad is released.

where did you get your adapter cable for the to go from the midi cable from the PUC+ to the midi sync on the beat buddy?
thank you for all your help
Greg

While i don’t have them with me, I believe the PUC uses a standard midi cable. The BeatBuddy should come with a midi adapter cable that has a plug for the BB with an additional 2 plugs (in/out) that also use a standard midi cable. The odd sized end of the adapter plugs into the BB (it is a unique sized plug/receptacle) and you use either the “out” or the “in” receptacle (depends on how you are using it) on the adapter cable.

OK Here is where I am at, I can get the BB to listen to my OnSong, BUT only through the test button and not when I scroll through the songs, what step am I missing? Thanks

Hi guys, this is awesome! I know it’s been a while since this thread has seen any activity, but hopefully you will reply.

I am wondering - the Blueboard has the capacity (in its original and connected apps) to have a volume/effects pedal plugged in to the side of the Blueboard, and then this to control volume in apps. Is there any way to do still include this whilst also having the above mentioned MIDI commands via the buttons? It would be pretty cool to be able to control the volume of the BeatBuddy with a volume pedal, and wondered if this could be done via the Blueboard still? Hope that makes sense! I am only beginning with MIDI and really have no idea how to program stuff - but I have got all of Ruairi’s things above to work.

Or am I going to have to put a volume pedal after the BeatBuddy (and before the mixing desk)?