Using the Beat Buddy live - 1.76 beta firmware version

Also, is it possible to add the “pause” feature of the BeatBuddy as secondary part of the play/start button? On the BeatBuddy, it would seem to be handy to have the ability to pause sometimes. I wondered this as you have managed to retain the ability to hold the transition by holding down the pedal button for transition. It made me wonder if the pause feature could be enabled somehow.

If you have a remote foot switch, pause/unpause is available.

The BeatBuddy midi sync breakout cable is sold separately.

Actually, I got it to work. Cheap volume pedal into side of Blueboard.

On Midiflow, I added a controller:
Incoming CC12
Outgoing CC108
Mode is direct
Remapping is linear

My one issue is that when the pedal is an minimum the level of the BeatBuddy reds 3%, which isn’t ideal.

Anyone any ideas why this has happened? And how to fix it?

Indeed. But the Blueboard has 4 buttons. I have these set to start, transition, fill, stop.

I plan to situate the BeatBuddy up top so I can see it, so cannot use it in usual way. Thus my question.

I think so.I’m pretty sure I have a foot pedal at home that will do the trick, I’ll try it out.

If you have ABCD set up as Fill, Start, Transition and Outro respectively then I’m fairly certain you can just replace the B (Start) and make it Pause instead as Start is kinda redundant; pressing the pedal or C (Transition) will start the drums also (I think).

In MIDI flow you can remap the range also. So you could make it that a small on the foot pedal (say 80-110) translates to a large range (0-127)

Thanks for this quick reply. As your second post shows, you saw that I got the volume pedal to work - I will try your suggestion for changing the range.

I got the pause feature to work on a second cheap pedal, plugged into effects pedal 2 jack input. Midiflow was SO SO useful for this!! Cannot rate this app highly enough. The settings I used were:

Incoming CC13
Outgoing CC111
Latch mode
Latch trigger value = 127
Middle trigger edge option
The “off” value is set to 127
The “on” value is set to 127 (as well)

Just to note - when paused (with my setup at least), I can press the transition button and the BeatBuddy will play the transition and change the part played. No other buttons do anything, which is fine - but helpful to know that I need to unpause before I can stop the song.

This is what my setup now looks like. This allows me to use all the BeatBuddy controls as well as control volume. I have chosen to move the START function to the first button, then TRANSITION, then FILL, then OUTRO.

Ruairiau - thank you so much for posting the original videos and details, you have really transformed things for me! I can now have the BeatBuddy completely up-top at eye level, allowing me to see the metronome as well as more easily switch songs, etc! Admittedly, it has cost me around £205 for the PUC+, Blueboard, BeatBuddy MIDI cable, MIDI volume pedal and MIDI foot switch, Midiflow app and Controller Remapping upgrade for Midiflow…but I reckon will be very helpful in the long term.

This worked. I set the values as:
INPUT: 10 to 127
OUTPUT: 0 to 100

This now means it goes down to 0% on the BeatBuddy, whilst still meaning the pedal has to go all the way to the floor for it to reach 100%. Thanks again Ruairiau!

After getting the Blueboard/BeatBuddy combo to work my next step is OnSong…but awaiting injection of finance via Christmas!

However, I do have a question. When you advance to the next song on OnSong (either swiping or with another Blueboard), does the BeatBuddy start the drum beat straight away when it gets the MIDI command from OnSong? Or are you still able to control when it starts?

Ideally I’d like the second option, so that I move to the next song, then OnSong sets the BeatBuddy up with the required sng file, wherein everything is set including tempo…and then I get to start the song with the Blueboard pedal. This is especially helpful for songs that have a quiet start and the drums come in later.

Please tell me this the case, or if it can be done this way!

It does not start straight away, you have to start it. In fact, if the beat buddy is already playing, it will stop the song and change the beat. I posted this video on the first page, you should be able to see how it works.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I had watched the video several times but hadn’t joined up the dots, apologies!

Great thread! The info here should help me get my solo live gigs going with drums again. I’ve gigged with an Alesis in the past, but switching between songs interrupted my shows to the point that I quit using it. I’ve purchased (waiting on delivery) a Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless MIDI and Beatbuddy MIDI adapter cable. I’m not planning on the Blueboard, at this time. But, I have a feeling you will all talk me into purchasing one :).

Before I purchase Onsong, would you recommend any other app to use for solo live gigs? It appears Onsong has everything needed, but new apps appear all the time. The #1 need/needs are simplicity along with reliability.

I just wanted to take a minute and thank you again for this information…It has really made using the BB much easier and more fun.
Thanks Again
Greg

[QUOTE="Before I purchase Onsong, would you recommend any other app to use for solo live gigs? It appears Onsong has everything needed, but new apps appear all the time. The #1 need/needs are simplicity along with reliability.[/QUOTE]

Had my first gig last night with the Beatbuddy. Used OnSong for years. They work perfect together. I had the songs already in OnSong so it was minimal set-up. Connected through Blue Tooth and everything was easy to work with. I’d recommend it!

hello Ruairiau i’m not good in english as well as in math formula’s can you explain us easily how you arrive todo this bpm programmation please

My first gig with Beatbuddy and Onsong went great. They work wonderful together. Ever since I got my Beatbuddy, I’ve been having a ball!

I don’t don’t set the BPM via MIDI anymore. The OnSong guys posted a video on these forums not too long ago and showed some cool tips on how to control the Beat Buddy with Onsong. You can view it here:

Here’s the easy way to automatically send the BPM in OnSong:
Utilities (Cog icon at top right) > Editors > MIDI > MIDI Settings (Spanner bottom left) > Tempo
I just send it on All Channels.

thank you very much I 'm gonna study all this loool