Using the Beat Buddy live - 1.76 beta firmware version

@ruairiau
Have you noticed whether Midiflow is causing any backing tracks on OnSong to briefly pause (or create a gap in the sound) when changing from one song to the next?

My issue is that I use the OnSong app to display my guitar music and OnSong also plays a backing track on my iPad whilst I play - this backing track lasts 20 mins (and is on repeat) and I play 3-4 songs in the same key over the top of the same backing track. However, when I move to the next song (using either my finger or my iRig Bluetooth pedal) there is a small gap/delay/pause in the backing track - there is no such gap when Midiflow is closed.

Have you any idea what might be causing this? It wasn’t an issue back in January, but I’ve been away and not using my setup during that time, and wonder whether the Feb 2017 update of Midiflow has brought about this change?

I have emailed the developer to see if they have any ideas.

Has any one else had this issue? Or can you setup OnSong/Midiflow as described above and see if you get the same issue. I don’t know if it’s an app issue, or a bluetooth issue, or an iOS issue, or a programming issue (in Midiflow), or a gear issue (e.g. Blueboard). Should I uninstall then reinstall the apps?

Is there a trick to get Beatbuddy, Onsong and Quantiloop to stay in sync while connected to Beatbuddy wirelessly? They won’t stay in sync because of the delay with my Bluetooth connection…Is “Midi Loop Sync” my answer? Or, do l have to plug a camera adapter into my iPad?..I would prefer to stay wireless! HELP…PLEASE!

Are you using 1 iPad or 2

You will need to run a midi cable from the BB to the iPad, so you will need a midi audio interface. I don’t think you can use it wireless, maybe I’ll check.

I’m using the iPad 2 air 64GB…
I’m ordering the Blueboard next and hopefully I’ll be rocking with loops that sync!!!

Thanks for suggesting Quantiloop. I’m having a ball with it…just need to get everything to sync properly with my Beatbuddy…

Glad you like it. Ray try Midi Link sync, it is free and locks into the midi, however not sure if the Bluetooth is fast enough to transmit the data needed to go from the BB to the Ipad with midi, to keep up.

I’ll have to figure out how this app works tomorrow. Hopefully it is the solution.

SUCCESS!!! Midi Link Sync solved the problem! Thanks soooooo much…I’m off and running now…

Good news! The iRig Blueboard just took a $20 price drop. You can pick them up for $79.99 at all the big name music stores!

I have been trying to find the midiflow preset that you posted but can seem to find it anywhere. Can you point me to it. I am trying to set up a new Ipad with onsong, the midiflow, and the PUC+
Thank you

I think the best setup is to make Beatbuddy the master when it comes to midi-sync. So in your case you can send the tempo / BPM from OnSong to the BB but do not set the BB to midi thru. This will therefore set the BPM of the BB but when the BB starts it will send it’s own midi clock based on that BPM. You can then send this clock signal from the BB to Quantiloop which should sync to it without issues.

If you need to have OnSong follow the midi-clock as well (though I cannot think of a reason why unless for scrolling lyrics?) then you could also send the midi clock from the BB to OnSong (I think it will accept it).

You can connect the BlueBoard to your iPad wirelessly and it can trigger the start and end of songs etc. in OnSong. The midi setup in OnSong can send the required CC messages to the BB to set the tempo, to set the BB song etc. I presume the BB is connected to your iPad via cable? I use the iRig Pro Duo audio interface that is convenient because it’s small and it can handle all the audio and midi from to and from your iPad. I also have the iRig PowerBridge which allows the iPad to charge when connected to the iRig Pro Duo. You should be able to use the iPad USB interface as well though I haven’t tested midi connections with this.

1 Like

My Midiflow says it’s connected to the irig & puc but when I press an irig button while monitor the midi nothing shows up. Oddly, the puc flashes as if it receives a signal from the BlueBoard but it doesn’t change beatbuddy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Could you post it again in dropbox? it’s broken

thank you very much

Hi @ruairiau - I see you are still posting some videos on YouTube from time to time, so wondered if I might contact you some way to get some advice on my setup? I am still having this same issue I posted above in April 2017.

More recently, I am also now having a second problem - when I start the backing track on OnSong, somehow a signal is getting through to the BeatBuddy and the drums start too!?! But when I watch in MidiFlow, no such command is seen - in fact, at no time do I see any Control Commands from my Blueboard for OnSong (I have a second Blueboard for Beatbuddy and it shows Control Commands fine). This issues with OnSong backing track starting alongwith the drums also happens EVEN IF I put the Blueboard into start-up mode “A” and have the Blueboard app open.

I have wasted so many hours on this and cannot find a work around!

I’d be willing to use cables, or to replace one of the Blueboards with a separate pedal board if that would help. But I wonder if the AirTurn: BT200S-4 Bluetooth Foot Controller would just have the same problem when using it to control OnSong?

Another idea was to replace the PUC+/Blueboard combo for controlling the BeatBuddy with an alternative, but I have no idea what!?! Nothing else seems to offer quite the same flexibility.

Or is there another app I could use instead of MidiFlow?

Any help much appreciated. Right now I have to choose between one thing or the other, and it is really frustrating, as it did work once upon a time, before apps/ipads were updated I presume.

This is how I use it live:

• I use the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI connectors attached to the BeatBuddy.
  • Choose the Bluetooth menu in OnSong and connect to the BeatBuddy.

After you create a song in OnSong:

• Touch the title of the song and the MIDI EVENT menu will appear.
  • Touch the + (at the bottom of the menu window)
  • Touch/check program
  • In Program, select the song number
  • In BANK MSB choose 0
  • In BANK LSB choose the folder number the song is in (subtract one)
    …(if it’s in folder 4 use 3)
    Done…
    When you choose the song, in OnSong, it will send the program to your BeatBuddy and it will change to your chosen song.

I use my BlueBoard to page to the next song (buttons C and D) and to scroll the current song (buttons A and B). You can probably program one of the buttons to start your backing track.

I don’t use OnSong to play backing tracks. Hopefully this helps and works for you. The solution for your issue may be to use different MIDI channels.

This MIDI PROGRAM COMMAND will choose song 8 in folder 23…
Ignore the second MIDI COMMAND that shows beneath it…this command controls my Quantiloop app.

image image image

1 Like

Has anyone done a similar thing on an android tablet? I love the idea of selecting the song on my tablet and the beatbuddy is synced and ready to play the same song. I’m using MobileSheets.

I emailed Onsong, suggesting they offer a menu option like Quantiloop has…This would make life soooo much easier…

I think some of you guys have lost the whole concept surround the BB. A simple device with simple beats. Plug it in and play what’s downloaded. I have over 400 songs in my OnSong and i can put a BB
beat to everyone one of them and i have fun and lots of it with my BB. Not all listeners are pro’s.

Sorry, but i have been reading a lot of these post and i come away discouraged and more confused than ever. If your a pro or a stingent music jock then fine, but if your not you are confusing people.