Was very excited Now a bit disappointed

Thanks for posting. I also purchased the Aeros, Beatbuddy, and Maestro for this reason. My intention is to create entire songs which I can have backing me for live performances. This setup was supposed to be a one person band’s dream but I’m very concerned this isn’t possible.

To anyone reading this, looping isn’t only about doing so in live and on the fly with 1-2 min parts. It’s about breaking the time limit boundaries so that artists can create tracks as long as they like so that looping isn’t so redundant. For example, with experimental/ambient soundscapes, I would want as much time as I can. Bigger, longer, the better for layers added and taken away.

2 Likes

Thanks David. Have you already created a thread for all users to follow? I’d highly recommend this so that we don’t have threads like this causing further confusion.

All the best - Cody Science of Sound PNW

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Have given up on all there of my SS products and have moved to a Boss RC-500 and a DrumPort Laser Stomp IR 2-in-1. I loved the BB at first, but find it too cumbersome for much of what I want to do as a solo performer - also because of the software and the learning curve involved to accomplishing any „extras“. Couldn‘t even use the BB effectively without an external pedal (used a Boss FS-6 or FS-7 at times). Got a Midi Maestro with bugs and really loud switches - just as loud and annoying as my equally buggy Aeros (which has been taking years to become usable). Never actually used the MM or Aeros for performance due to the god-awful switches (totally too loud for intimate performances), and the BB just gets on my nerves now. So all three products are gathering dust until I end up selling them. I‘ve seen many promises made and broken by SS. Nice folks with good intentions, but for the money we paid for these products, I feel absolutely cheated and also abused as a guinea pig. Disillusioned? Hell, yes. Bashing SS? No. I love their spirit and ideas. I just think they are rotten on execution. And I think they are digging their own grave. So no need for angry bashing. We can only ever just learn from our own mistakes.

4 Likes

Is the 2,5 minute loop length cut in half when recording stereo loops - giving you only a little over a1 minute for stere loops ??

Morten :slight_smile: :smile: :smile:

No.

You don’t need an internal click. Use free form.

:rofl:

Also, every track is a stereo loop, there is technically no mono as far as I can see. You don’t end up having to gang 2 tracks together for stereo like some other devices you may be familiar with. If you record in stereo but have to output in mono, there is an option for that.

I suspect there is a programming difference with the mono vs stereo where the stereo limit is 10 min vs 20.
Every time I look at my unused Aeros sitting there waiting for the part time expansion and ability to go in and out of my DAW I get frustrated and excited for when they get this done.

The Aeros is a marvelous and unique piece of gear. The good news for some is the availability of cheaper used ones from frustrated users if you are willing to take a chance.

I’ve had a similar experience with a NuX MG 300 multi effects pedals. Horrible manual. So bad that users have developed their own pointing out unknown features. A lot of people have sold theirs because they cannot get the information to set pedal, change and save tones, etc.

But once you figure it out it’s an amazing piece of gear. I suspect over time the Aeros will become what we want it to be.

I think a monthly online newsletter from David at Singular would be a nice touch. It could be filled with user experiences and tips showing different uses, inside company news, etc. The forum would still be where we could “vent” and David could respond to. We do not hear much from the users who are really happy with the Aeros, Beat Buddy, etc. I am sure they are out there.

Would it be more of a company propaganda piece? Of course! But that’s ok with me as long as it had information to enhance my experience.

2 Likes

I think mine will be for sale soon, for 2 months I have been pulling out my hair to try to make BB & Aeros work normally in my pedalboard, Helix is the master control. My last problem is the sd card of the looper, impossible to have the songs in parallel on the card and the internal memory, if you screw up a loop, you cannot reload it from the sd card since it moved it to the internal memory, and is no longer on the card! It’s really a crazy world… :rofl: :crazy_face:

1 Like

This is exactly what I am going through despite the 4.0.2 firmware of the aeros and BB Nothing works well for live, it’s a very bad concept

1 Like

Sorry to hear things apparently haven’t changed since I turned my back on the SS suite of products. Abusing customers as guinea pigs (aka beta testers) ain’t the gentlemanly thing to do.

Sounds like a frustrating experience. I hate it when getting equipment to work - and keep on working - eats up a disproportionate share of the time one actually wants to be spending on making music.

You don’t need to load a backing track.
just connect your phone into the “AUX In” and let’s play your backingtrack and play over
I don’t understand this obsession to charge a backingtrack, so you can just play it simply !
Charging a backing track is take memory of the unit
Playing the backingtrack from your phone, it’s 0 memory

I am well aware that a non-looping backing track can be recording into the Aeros, as can a track where the entire length of the track loops. What is not available, however, is an option to record in a backing track similar to a “jam” song in the BB. In that scenario, a prejam section plays (treated as the intro by the BB), followed by the looping jam, then, a postjam section plays (treated as the outro by the BB. Were I to try to do this on the Aeros using a phone as you suggest, I would need to be able to have the phone sync to a midi clock so I could nail the loop at the correct looping points, which, frankly, I am not a good enough looper to do. It ain’t my thing. However, if I could load pre-recorded tracks, I could have my already properly nailed loop ready to go, recorded from my DAW and synced to perfection. And that is what I desire.

I do not want to be tied to the idea of having to record a show in real time by recording individual songs into the Aeros. If I had to do that with getting my CD collection into iTunes rather than ripping them in, I would be playing songs into iTunes for the next 20 years. The ability to transfer a wav or mp3 file from one device to another is not some sort of new exotic technology. Before buying the Aeros, I was lead to believe that I could load a prerecorded song into the Aeros, not record into the Aeros. So that, kind sir, is my “obsession.”

4 Likes

I was very excited and now I’m VERY disappointed - and I’m out about $1,000 for something I can’t trust in performance. I just wrote the following review for Aeros (and Maestro, Beat Buddy).

A “B” for effort, a “D minus” for execution!

I was really, really hoping that this pedal would be a step up from my Digitech loopers - mainly by allowing more than 2 channels and one loop. The 6 x 6 option was intriguing. So I bought one last June (2021).

First, if you’re going to use this pedal in a live looping situation, you had better spend the extra money for the Midi Maestro as well. There’s just no way to operate it smoothly while playing your instrument with just the 4 pushbuttons provided. So now we’re up to around $1,000 for a LOOPER. (I already had a beat buddy that I rarely used in performance 'cause it’s noisy.)

Which would be all right if it WORKED. Alas, even after updating to the latest firmware (3 times), this thing still has FATAL bugs in the software.

The latest problem I uncovered has been cutting off loops that were already recorded. I recorded 5 tracks in 2 parts using different instruments for one song. The song was playing back fine. I came back a few days later and it would only play back the first 2 minutes or so of the song. I took the card to my computer and my computer said the card needed checking. After cleaning up the card, I found that the loops were OK, they were full length and played fine in the computer. But when I played the song back in the Aeros, it didn’t play the entire song as recorded - same issue.

And of course, they’ve never seen fit to give us the ability to import loops into a song, so even though I have completely useable loops, I cannot use them in this looper.

And the connector on the Maestro is flaky - it often loses contact with the looper and I have to push the midi connector in hard and then re-boot the Aeros. Another performance deal killer.

(Oh, and the beat buddy is still noisy).

So, kids, this Professional musician who’s been looping for over 20 years has $1,000 of hardware that he can’t use for performing and doesn’t trust for practicing.

Actually, if I include the pedal board I bought to mount this all on, I’m out a total of $1,300+ for hardware I can’t use.

Was seriously considering purchasing this product. Glad I looked here! Thanks to the helpful input I see here, I think I’ll hang on to my hard earned cash awhile longer. It seems that Singular just tried to expand too fast. I’m still waiting for a decent upgrade to the BBM for Mac!

Just to be fair to Singular, they did handle the 2:30 issue. You can now have longer songs with less tracks. There still is no way to load a song from an existing wav or mp3 directly in the Aeros. Everything has to be recorded in. They have made some advancements with fading loops. I am not sure how the aging of loops has progressed, asI have not been using the unit. I have been concentrating on studio work.

In other words, still not ready for prime-time - I still have spent $1,300+ for a boat anchor.