We need a MIDI editor that works with BBs internal sounds ASAP

All the talk about MIDI editors is pretty much hit or miss because if you’re not hearing the correct samples when editing your grooves it’s basically useless.

What we need is a MIDI editor that work with BBs own sounds so we can hear what the final result will really sound like.

Just look at the Latin set which have a lot (+20 samples) of Conga samples.

We need a professional MIDI editor of the same sort as in the major DAWs where you can tweak the notes to your hearts content to get it just right, (Not possible in the free MIDI editor which just has quantized notes which makes it sounding very stiff and mechanically)

While waiting you could also attach the BeatBuddy as an old fashioned MIDI device to any DAW that supports MIDI.

The MIDI patterns that are mapped to the standard drum map will sounds exactly like any other song that exists in the default content, because it is the drumkits that play the patterns, not the sounds you hear in an external MIDI editor (which has its own sounds). The only exceptions are drumsets that have specialized mappings, like the Latin one.

EDIT: We are working on a new version of the BBManager that includes a MIDI editor. Send me an email at support@mybeatbuddy.com and I will give it to you (keep in mind though that it is still in the beta-testing stage, so it might have a few bugs here and there).

Simple solution.

Use your DAW to edit midi.

Send that midi out of DAW into BB via a USB / Midi cable.

Hear EXACTLY how it will sound when played on BB in a performance setting.

Is there a way to save kits in SD3 to be able to use them in Beat Buddy?

No you can’t !

It’s a complete different system but you can trigger the samples in BB with SD3 by using the MIDI in on BB which is a great feature.

BB can only handle 15 samples per drum sound while SD3 can have 127 samples per drum sound.

The biggest disadvantage with BB is that you can only use about 100MB per drumkit which is a tiny tiny amount of what SD3 can use. SD3 uses several GB per drumkit.

I sample the drums in SD3 ( Up to 15 different velocities samples per drum ) that I like and then I get a kit that sounds like SD3 ( kind of ) and then I load them into BB but I still have to tweak the grooves in SD3 to get it to sound like the ones in SD3, due to the fact that SD3 has a much wider range of velocity samples.

Since the grooves in SD3 uses velocities ranging from 1-127 and you only have 15 velocity samples per drum sound in BB you can see there can be a problem if they do not match.

Lets say that a SD3 groove puts out 1, 3 , 5, 7 ,10 velocity samples and in BB you only have 1, 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64 etc velocities. It’s not going to sound as smooth dynamically in BB as it does in SD3. So when I sample the drums in SD3 I have to choose velocity samples wisely in order to make it sound as close to SD3 as it can.

FYI: I use Presonus Studio One to sample SD3 by just recording different velocities per drum like 1, 8, 16, 24 and so on. Then I cut out every sample ( Using Steinberg Wavelab ) and trim them to get them as small as I can so I can fit them all in BB. It’s a very time consuming process but the end results are much better sounding than the original BB sounds for sure.

2 Likes