What Church Songs Work with which BB setting?

Never fun in the moment but it serves for a welcomed chuckle later.

PD

1 Like

Thanks very helpful as I don’t have a PC to use the editor

Thank God for half-term breaks from teaching! At last I have been able to spend time with the BeatBuddy and the Management Suite - it took a while to work out the procedure, but the interface is quite intuitive after that:
[i]- choose song from one of the existing styles folders

• export it (to some mysterious location on your computer!)
  • create New Folder and rename it with your own preferred title
  • select that folder - produces an empty song list in the right hand pane
  • IMPORT the song previously exported - now adds it to your custom folder
  • set desired Tempo, choice of drumkit
  • customise the architecture of the song, by deleting fills or sections to suit your preference
  • use the cute Virtual Machine graphic interface to audition and check that the various functions will work as you expect
    [/i]

Here are the first three songs which I have edited as worship songs:
PRAISE IS RISING (Hosanna) - Paul Baloche:

• Techno 4: 114bpm, Standard Kit, Intro /transition /ending fills and two of the three part fills deleted

BLESSED BE YOUR NAME - Matt Redman:

• Blues 2: 116bpm, Metal kit, various fills removed (esp Intro fill)

SPIRIT BREAK OUT - Luke Hellebronth (Worship Central):

• Rock 5 Jungle Toms: 76 bpm, Brushes kit, various fills removed (esp Intro fill and transition fills)

I’m just about to choose the songs for the service this Sunday coming, so I will be assigning custom songs to each of those today or tomorrow, and add them to this list.

Blessings, Jonny

THANK YOU! I so can’t wait to get mine. 17 days and counting. I am bookmarking all the helps and hints and libraries so I can hit the ground running. Your investment in this thread will help tremendously.

PD

…also, a real oldie, with a rock -> punk(!) feel,
JESUS LOVES ME (the Bible tells me so):

• Techno 3, Rock kit, 120bpm, various fills removed (as before)

My tracking number came today. I’ll have mine in two days. It will take me a week or two, maybe longer, to go live with it. In the meantime I will definitely be building a song library. As I do I will share my findings here.

PD

Debut and Some more custom settings for worship songs:

I have finally used my BeatBuddy live, when leading worship in our morning service.

I’ve been left with a few misgivings. But these are down to the novelty of the situation and my need to practice much more, so that I can engage with the Holy Spirit properly again. Chief concern was that I was concentrating too much on the transitions/fills/stops and starts, and wasn’t as relaxed and open to the congregation as I need to be (I was also using my AirTurn pedals to control OnSong on my iPad, so I was a bit edgy at times!)

Up-side:
Our normal line - vox/acoustic guitar (me), bass, electric, keys, 2nd vox/flute -were all present, and all played with even more energy and sense of ensemble than usual.

Songs to add to the library:
ALL TO JESUS

• Pop 8: 74bpm, Brushes kit,
    Intro fill replaced with the 4 beat metronome (without accents); Part 1 - all fills deleted except 65; Part 2 - all fills deleted

AS THE DEER (in the style of Salvador)

• Pop 1 (16s): 68bpm, Brushes kit - with additional Part 3
    -Deleted Intro and all fills
  • Part 1 and Part 2 as original Pop1 - transition to Part 2 = Pop fill 18 - transition to Part 3 = Pop fill 34
  • Part 3 (additional) = R&B1 beat 9
  • Outro fill replaced with Pop fill 74

COME PEOPLE OF THE RISEN KING (Townend/Getty)

• World/Spanish Rumba: 112bpm, Brushes kit
  • Deleted Intro; Part 1 fill 2 (Fill 76); all Part 2 fills

BUILD YOUR KINGDOM HERE (Rend Collective)

• Techno1: 120bpm, Rock kit
  • added an extra Part = imported a simple 4 beat kick drum MIDI sequence (created as a Sibelius file, and exported as MIDI)
  • Deleted Intro: (orig) Part 1 fills 1 & 3; transition to (orig) Part 2; (orig) Part 2 fills 2 & 3

BLESSED ASSURANCE

• Blues 7 (6/8): 90bpm, Brushes kit
  • Deleted Intro

That’s brilliant thanks. The more gizmos you have on stage them more you have to concentrate on them and the more difficult it is to enter into worship yourself. I used to use a stompbox or the pedal from our electric kit set to “bass drum” to drive the group and that kept me anchored in one position. When I first tried the BeatBuddy I found real freedom moving around. I’ve not changed the songs much, dropping an intro or outro but the fills I find are fine. If we start going out of sync I can pause and restart or just stop it completely.
Your setup is very similar to mine - next stage is to get onsong to control the BeatBuddy, but some more features will need to be added to the firmware to make that possible.

Can you step me through a couple things that you have done?

First, how did you add the Metronome to the song?
Second How are you mixing different drum sets in a song?

PD

First, how did you add the Metronome to the song?

You can replace any loop in a song (using Manager Software) by clicking on it. This opens the folder of the song you are modifying (eg Pop 8, as above) - but you can navigate to any ‘song’ folder and choose any pattern (songs as in Blues, Pop, etc).
By working out which folder is Metronomes (within the Songs folder), I was able to select the 4 beats without accents, to replace the Intro Fill.

Second How are you mixing different drum sets in a song?

I’m not sure what you are referring to - unless you mean the change of styles in As The Deer, based on Pop1, where I added a third Part (click on the + button in the left margin of the song pane), and used ‘beat 9’ from the R&B1 folder?
I don’t see a way of using different drum sets during a song…

Hope I have understood your questions correctly?

JonnyMac

Take your “As the deer” song for example. I went in clicked the + sign in left pane, added third part for the song, then clicked the bubble with 3 dots under section “Main Loop”. A window pops up that gives me all of the Pop midi samples.

Thats where you lose me. I cannot figure out how to get to R&B1 folder.

Same goes for the metronome. I can see how it gives me the option to replace the intro but when the window comes up it just gives me options within the beat style the song is already in.

How do I navigate outside of the song I’m already in?

PD

I just figured out. The simple things confound the wise. Huh?

Thanks.

I have 18 songs to post that I have completed now.

PD

Somewhere between adding the third part to the song and replacing the intro with the metronome the program decided I couldn’t save the project or sync anymore. Lost everything. Doesn’t work on the pedal and won’t load into manager anymore.
Back to square one I suppose. :oops:

PD

I updated the original post to all the songs I have done now If anyone is interested.

PD

I’m the worship director at our church and am just learning this pedal this week. Hope to have it up and running for this weekend. We are doing Day of Fire’s song Cornerstone. At first I had a hard time trying to find the beat for this, then I saw someone posted Sadness Part 1 in another thread, this is the exact beat I need, except I could use the high-hat timing cut in half, but close enough. There is definitely a learning curve with the software. We are also doing From the Day which has the same resounding bass as Build Your Kingdom, so the Techno 1 works great for that song. The rest I’ll have to figure out. Can someone recommend good software for creating your own beats and importing them into BB manager?

God Bless!!
Bear

I personally use Guitar Pro 5.2. It’s a powerful guitar/bass tab editor that is capable of importing and exporting MIDI files for use with the BeatBuddy manager software.

Also the latest news I heard from David was that MIDI editor is already on the way to make it to the manager software! Though, it may take a while :slight_smile:

Hi Bearhunter

I have been using Sibelius notation software.

Selecting 5 line percussion as the instrument in a blank new project gives me all I require - it Exports as MIDI using General Midi sound mapping.

If you use any other sequencing package such as Cubase or Logic, they wil do the same.

JonnyMac

I added 9 new songs to the list. As others add to this thread I will add them to the master list on the first page. feel free to add your suggestions and what has worked for you.

PD

Daefecator,

I’m thinking of getting Guitar Pro. Can you give me an idea of the process you use to import songs into it and then get the drum beat exported out of it?

Thanks for your help.

Bear

Went live last night at practice with the BB. Execution was great but beat choices…not 100%. There were a couple of changes. But for the most part BB is a GO for Sunday.
Gotta Gotta remember to move to next song every time. :oops:

PD