What Church Songs Work with which BB setting?

… and pray that you are able to use it in the background, and stay focused on the Holy Spirit

Main idea - stay away from buying Guitar Pro 6 or any other versions. Use Guitar Pro 5.2 instead. The interface is pretty intuitive. To open a MIDI file use File > Import > MIDI. To save a MIDI file - File > Export > MIDI.

I think what a lot of people are looking for including myself is an easy way to edit existing external midi files into separate parts to be added to the Beatbuddy.
I have Cubase SX3 running on my XP machine and chopping down a commercial midi track is not the easiest task to complete. Each section needs to be imported and then exported as a Midi file and then as my XP machine is too slow to run the manager software I need to use another machine to test.
I just want a piece of software that makes the task of extracting the drum track (channel 10) and chopping it up easy…without paying a fortune. If guitar pro does that, then i would be tempted, if not, I need to look elsewhere. Currently I’m trying out Reaper as the licence for that can be used on multiple machines by a single user, but as I am so used to Cubase I’m finding it difficult.

As far as I know, Guitar Pro 5.2 is hardly even supported now, so any money you would probably pay for it (on whatever site) will most likely not go to the developers.

Guitar Pro is able to import ALL the tracks from the MIDI, then you can manually remove all the other tracks (except drums one), then you chop it down manually to different parts, exporting each of them to it’s own MIDI file.

All in all, you need to upgrade your calculator you are running BBManager and other software with :slight_smile:

First worship band practice with my BB and all went well!

though I lead worship in two other places which have regular drummers, I lead occasionally at my sister’s church where we do not have a drummer. So, I’ve been excited to give BB a spin in that setting.
I brought it to practice last night. I haven’t yet set up the set list in BB yet, that will happen this week, but I used Blues 1 and Brushes 5.

“I’d Rather Have Jesus” (traditional hymn) Brushes 5

Anyway, using the tap tempo which I have set up on button 1, I was able to conduct practice using the BB. Everyone loved it.

I mention this just to highlight the versatility of BB and relative ease of using it even before setting up dedicated songs. Of course, it would be preferable because then one need only advance to next song, but it works GREAT as is with the tap tempo set up.

I really struggle using the tap tempo live and it requires musicians to practise. Pleased it has worked so well for you, need to learn that skill as you don’t want to start every song with an Intro, or a click and often another instrument is involved in starting the intro anyway.

I actually noticed the same months ago, but though it was just me lacking experience with the pedal. Now, after months gigging with the pedal, I am still struggling with getting it right, and fallback to twisting the knob instead.

Currently I am thinking if all sounds were muted while I am tapping a tempo, it would help me enormously.

How about a suggestion to add one more setting to the pedal?

Tap Tempo Mute:

• Mute BeatBuddy (block only beats from BeatBuddy, bypassing input signal)
  • Mute All Output (block both input signal and beats from BeatBuddy)

I like that idea.

Here’s another dilemma I’m experiencing…

On some songs just a piano and a vocal will sing for a verse or two and the rest of the band doesn’t come in until the chorus or bridge. The BB can be set to mute the sound while the beat indicator continues but The pianist playing doesn’t see that. I wish there was a way to keep them on time so when I unease the BB they are on time.

Anyways…

updated the list again on opening post.

PD

When you guys mention “muting all sounds,” Do you mean just muting the BB or muting the through sound as well? Usually what’s happening with me is that I’m tapping the tempo as I play the guitar so that when I bring the BB in, we’re together.

I’ve tried changing the tempo while the BB is playing and this is much much easier said than done.
Currently what I’d like to master is half-time. I have a couple of songs where cutting the tempo in half would be great. No, I haven’t been able to accomplish that while playing my guitar and singing. I have the theory in my head, but translating that to my right foot while I’m doing other things is very challenging.

another thing which makes this a bit more difficult is that the BB outboard buttons have a significant click and travel. So tapping a tempo can be a little challenging. I wish it had buttons more like my TC Helicon Harmony G pedal has.

PD, I don’t know what to tell you about your pianist and vocalist and their tempo. What would you do if you were not using the BB? Or is this just a general problem which the BB could solve if they could see the beat?

What I meant to say, was having a Tap Tempo Mute option to pick one:

1. Default (as it is now)
  2. Mute BeatBuddy (mute only beats from BeatBuddy, input signal goes through)
  3. Mute All Output (mute both input signal and beats from BeatBuddy)

Without the beat buddy the musicians would come in at the appropriate spot using the timing that the vocalist and other instrumentalists are already in. But when using the BB its a different story. If a song is a piano and solo vocalist for two verses and then the guitar, drums, and other vocalists come in on the chorus…well if the verses slowed down at all the BB comes in faster than everyone is singing.

The tap tempo thing may be the answer here. So let me sequence this. Start BB, Immediately pause, BB continues to play but muted, keep tempo with piano and vocalist, a measure or two before BB is to come in begin “tap tempo”, then start BB at appropriate time?

My only hiccup is my footswitch is left on-accent right on-pause/un pause. I would have to reassign the footswitch buttons.

I will keep trying to process this.

PD

Ha Mate, I am from down under New Zealand. Love how you started worship songs. We do a lot of Hillsongs. Do you have anymore that you would suggest?

Maverick

2 Likes

Hi PD,
You wrote
“The tap tempo thing may be the answer here. So let me sequence this. Start BB, Immediately pause, BB continues to play but muted, keep tempo with piano and vocalist, a measure or two before BB is to come in begin “tap tempo”, then start BB at appropriate time?”

Sorry, didn’t see this until now.

Here’s how I’m set up right now.
I turned intros off on my pedal. that way I don’t need to start, then pause, my BB. If/when I begin to use intros, this may change.
I have my left button set to tap. I’ve decided I won’t miss the accent, and certainly not during the silences.
My right button is left on pause.

So, with those settings, here’s how I manage it.

While the BB is stopped, I select the correct song.
We start the song acapela or acoustically.
and, a couple of measures before, (this is important) maybe three measures before, I tap the tempo. then
press the pedal when I want BB to start.
Hopefully your singer won’t slow or speed up too much three measures before the drums kick in.

the reason for tapping the tempo three or more measures before is this. For some reason, when you start tapping tempo, if you tap ANY OTHER BUTTON, it will also act as tap tempo. I don’t know why, I think it’s a bug, but it does.
So, you cannot tap a “1-2-3-4” and then press the pedal to start. You’ll get silence, and your tapped tempo will be goofed up.

It worked GREAT last weekend. I actually have video, but the audio is awefully distorted because the camera is on the fritz.

so, give it a try!

Blessings!

Some more songs and the settings I’ve used, tempo also important which is lacking in the original list.
Some of these are duplicates but I use different settings.

Your love is amazing (Hallelujah) 95 BPM - Funk 3- str 16ths
When my heart is overwhelmed (God my Rock) 93 BPM - Blues 1
Ascribe Greatness 95 BPM - Blues 2
Praise Him Praise Him 100 BPM - Mainly Blues 7
Lord I come before your throne of grace 80 BPM - Blues 2
Who am I (Friend of God) 120 BPM - Techno 3
Not by might (Robin Mark) 100 BPM - Pop Song 4
My hope is built (Cornerstone) 73 BPM - Funk 4- str 16ths Brushes
Open the eys of my heart 115 BPM - Techno 5
From the highest of heights (Indescribable) 88 BPM - Blues 7- 6/8
When I was lost (Kate Simmons) 105 BPM - Verse Blues 1a, Chorus Blues 2b
We Believe (Graham Kendrick) 105 BPM - Pop 7- anticipated 1
Glorious Day (Casting Crowns) 75 BPM - Verse Rock 7a, Chorus Rock 4b
Take us to the river (Robin Mark) 100 BPM - Blues 1

OK - So i got my Buddy a week ago Friday. I am officially not a drummer and have never led worship with a drummer. I was little nervous to use the Buddy but I did it! Thanks Psalm40 for your tutorial. The hardest part for me is to determine a song to match the worship song because I don’t have any drumming background. Actually, I have only played guitar for 2 years 4 months. It’s crazy that I can even lead a worship service. God is so good.

Anyway this is my song set - Let me know if I totally missed the mark with my shots in the dark for matching the songs. I only programmed 1 part with intro and outro fills. It’s going to take a lot of practice for me to get used to using song parts, play guitar and lead the singing. I used the drum that came with the song.

O Holy Night - Marching 9 @ 60 bpm
Christmas Offering by Paul Baloche - Country 5 @ 64 bpm
You Are My King (Amazing Love) - Country 7 @ 110 bpm
Forever Reign - Brushes 1 @ 90 bpm
Sing to the King - Rock 4 @ 120 bpm
Jesus, Lamb of God (You Are My Strength) - Oldie 4 @ 120 bpm
As the Deer - Pop 1 @ 68 bpm (This was suggested in another post, thank you. This forum topic is a big help to an amateur like me).

1 Like

Another odd thing happened during church this morning - thankfully while setting up. I discovered that the foot switch would activate the left button switch when you touched the housing box anywhere. What do you think caused this? Is it a grounding issue? Should I be worried?

It’s normal. Foot switch cable contacts are pretty sensitive (as they should be for your presses to be registered fast and smoothly!).
Set the foot switch up, then try not to put force to the connecting cable. That’s that simple, nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

Thanks that helps a lot. Changed my setup and will practice it and see how it goes. Thanks again.

PD

1 Like

Are you familiar with ccli.com?
We use most of the top 100 ccli songs as well as hymns and chorus form a few decades ago.
The list on the opening post is all the songs we have done since I got my BB. (Also songs there are form other users who post them in this thread as well) Give me a year with the BB and you will see most of what we play on Sunday mornings added to this thread.

PD

For the most part you are doing it just like I am and like many others are I’m sure. One tip I would suggest is listen to the song you are trying to set up on the BB on Youtube. Get a feel for the drums in the original version and then try and find a close match on the BB.

PD