What do you want to see in a revised bbm? ... new features only

To add to this… if there could be a audio meter inside of the BBM so that you could actually see the differences between different beats and drum kits so that you could match volumes between them.

Not sure how many others might find these useful, but I’ll add them in.

1a) Auto Advancement - One thing that might be very handy is if they could build into the BBM the ability to set how many times a particular loop plays before Automatically advancing to the next part (fill or transition fill). This would save from having to create separate midi files that have the whole song or large song parts in it. So in essence, you would add the loop and adjust a length setting for that one loop (say 4 times). Then then toggle another setting somewhere for the song to automatically advance.

1b) Along with 1a above, what would be even better is if somehow they were able to reassign a pedal button or press combination to turn auto advancement on and off on the fly for times where you need to correct where you are, or want to play another go around of a chorus. Then when you’re back on track, press the button and Auto advance is working again from the loop that it is currently playing.

2)Transition Fills - It would also be nice to have a setting for Transition Fills to play the entire thing without having to hold the pedal for the duration of the number of bars. So for example, right now if you have a transition fill that is 2 bars long you have to hold the pedal down for 2 bars (actually 1 bar and a little bit) for the entire thing to play. If there was a setting in the BBM for each transition fill that you could toggle “1 press” you could then play the whole 2 bar transition fill with the same press of the pedal that you would normally use for a 1 bar transition.

Something to think about.

2 Likes

Because “stuff happens,” add an option for users to check and then to auto-flag any unsupported notes in a song or beat, giving users the option of correcting or accepting the unsupported notes. Relying on the BBM MIDI Editor is too clunky.

I would really help if editing a drum beat in the midi editor of the BBM worked like Excel spreadsheet cells. Just think how quick it would be to put beats for kick on 1 and 3 across 2 full measures and then “Right-Click” on Kick title and select set all beats to and type in 94 and every kick beat in the drum pattern would be set to 94.

Also…Let’s fix the BBM where working with 3/4 and 6/8 doesn’t cause it to crash in the middle of the edit session. And why isn’t 3/4 and 6/8 as easy to work with in the editor as 4/4? I just seems like anything outside of 4/4 time signature is an “after thought”.

2 Likes

For drum kit editing, I would like to see a screen that would bring up the drum kit values listed below, one per line with:

Inst name, start, end, filename, MIDI ID, Choke group, Fill choke group, fill choke value, volume, polyphony, instrument type

I’m not saying scrap the current interface, just add this option to it.The current interface works fine, this would make editing the kit a bit easier.

I’d like BBM (with out the aid of a third party program like reaper or logic) to have the ability to write midi commands for patch changes, turning midi loopers on and off, turning harmony on and off AND write midi harmony info for harmonizer to read to I don’t always have to strum full chords to get the correct harmonies!

1 Like

I use BB as a metronome for guitar practice. These additions would really sweeten the ease of use:

1. I would like BB to always be at the last tempo I was using when I switch it on.
  2. Allow me to select all songs in the BB Manager and set them all to the same relative tempo.
  3. Display time signature in it’s own column in song lists.
  4. Add more 3/4 time default songs.

BBM to create a storable and searchable index of the Project resources, Category, Songs (showing default Tempo, Drum Kit, Location Markers-FolderMSBLSB), DrumKits, Effects. (resource markers associated which are required to direct the midi selection required)

Use of unique identifier associated with locating and selection of songs files, instead of file loction mapping FOLDER, FILE - MSB/LSB. When new folders/files are added, the midi selection criteria is affected.

Listed with the song include the midi resource information and stats showing fills, transitions.

Love the BB, all the best in the NewYear.

“Loooking forward to your 2020 Vision”

I would like to be able to temporarily mute intros and outros, and then merge specific songs/ song parts in order to create medleys. Currently I have to create a new song for each medly and cut & past the different song parts into it.

To pane (left - right) the instruments

It would be nice to have the ability to scale velocities of individual instruments (ie. closed hat, bass dr.) by clicking on the name and either setting the entire line to the same number velocity, or increase or decrease velocity by percentage on the group of varying velocities. Being able to “lasso” a section and do that also would be great.

play whole songs. ability to edit the order of each part of a song to play them in sequence

I suggest the BBM functionality to include a CSV Map showing the contents of the BBM data. The data to be included would list the DrumKits, Song Banks, Song Listing, Effects, The format would demonstrate the Midi selection codes MSB, LSB, Oder.

Attached is a link to a Google Sheets example, I am using to locate the Songs and MIDI commands required to select the song. Presently I encode MIDI commands into both forScore and Songbook ChordPro.

I’d like to see a double time feature in the “transition” mode of the pedal. A double time groove as in a black gospel choir feel. BTW, does anyone know of or have a groove like that? I’m still a newbie so any help on creating one would be appreciated. Thank you. Jilas

In addition to what was requested above by others—the ability to bounce a song to disk as audio.

It might work okay for a drums only bounce but not so well for OPB and OPBk type songs.

Why not? Because the MIDI for bass guitar or other instruments has been moved up or down two or more octaves.

Might be easier and better to try bouncing the MIDI to audio from the original source file before it has been manipulated to work in the BeatBuddy.

Well, BeatBuddy and BBManager do all the processing to obtain correctly sounding audio from that MIDI—why not use it for bouncing? I realize I can loop the output back to audio input, it’s just that bouncing is usually quicker than the playback of an entire song.

1 Like

Another suggestion: if a proper play-once functionality is not going to be implemented for entire songs, then at least allow entering COMPLETELY empty loops in the BBManager. As it is now, when the song to be played is put in the Intro, you need to set a dummy loop as the main loop but it cannot be completely empty, otherwise BBManager won’t allow you to save it. The workaround is to have this loop include smth. like a hi-hat hit at a velocity of 1, but then that hi-hat is audible at PA volumes until you end the playback with a double-press. Implementing this doesn’t seem to require adding any functionality.

The workaround for that is to put the velocity 1 notes into an empty midi location. Ex. I usually build kits with bass at 0 through 31, drums at 35 and up, etc. That would normally leave 32, 33, and 34 available for the truly null location. Of course, this would mean actually programming a null note for the kit being used by the song. But, yeah, it would be nice to somehow have a real empty that worked as empty.

My main 2 wishes are:
1 being able to copy and paste sections whilst editing.
2 being able to play whole songs in a programmed sequence for instance, lets say that intro is 1, main part is 2, fill is 3 and outrun is 4. i would like to be able to program a sequence like 1223124 and play it all together.
I know that the digitech trio plus can do this with loops that have been recorded.