Aeros firmware 3.1.x

With the next update, like he just said.

3 Likes

When: one day? One week? One month?
Itā€™s been two weeks since we discovered the bug.

Name one commercial hardware (or even software only) developer that provides this type of detail or responsiveness. That said, it sounds like SS will be going to smaller, perhaps more rapid releases.

1 Like

Itā€™s stupid, stop thinking that a small business canā€™t work. For example, Loki Davidson from poly effects makes innovative and powerful devices (with a great price), see his last pedal. There are plenty of small businesses out there that make great and bug-free products. No need to make a million firmware version when the job is well done from the start.

Nine months, still not working.

ROFL it doesnā€™t have basic working functionality ATM how has it surpassed anything?

Please let us not start a war here.

Singular Sound - by the voice of Brennan - already showed many times in the past that they do care. They are listening. Brennan is right about the Aeros having surpassed many other loopers. But then, users are right too when they feel like the basic functionalities are not working reliably enough to start performing with the Aeros in front of an audience.

I personally see all the potential behind the Aeros, and this is why I purchased it. I can wait for the fixes. I am in the studio, and do not rely on the Aeros to make a living. I am happy my purchase helps the company to fund its development. But I understand the frustration of users who purchase a top-end looper, and not yet can use it as a simple, plain, looper, with 100% reliability.

Singular Sound should have fixed the core functions before adding more. But then, they are also in the process of rewriting everything to make it so much better. I admire that they took the responsibility to go back to the drawing board for the basic functions, changing a big paradigm in how the pedal works (the on-press events) - at the cost of a further delay in releasing the update we are all waiting for.

I understand the frustration at the user side. And believe me, the same frustration is shared at the developer side (I am a developer too, not for Singular Sound).

It is a dangerous time for the life of a product, when both sides are discouraged.

Instead we should unite ourselves, and look forward to what will become most probably a wonderful product.

10 Likes

Thanks, happy to register that we are back on a more constructive communication basis.
What is your planned delivery date for the next final release?

We are pushing the dev team to their fullest to wrap up with the debugging, we have all the intention of releasing the new beta ASAP, once all serious issues have been smoothed out.

At this point the only major bug is from corner cases where the fade logic must be refined to avoid pops. It has already improved greatly from the last version due to the new cross-fade logic. The novelty of the crossfade logic has made pin-pointing exact fixes difficult, but we are very close to smoothing those out.

I canā€™t give an exact date, but we are being as transparent as possible with what we are working on in order to release.

Thank you all for a continuing determination to make this Looper the best ever made.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

It is clear that Singular is interested in fixing these issues.

I am running the Boss RC-505 alongside my new Aeros and I can say two things, (1) the RC-505 handles timing flawlessly, (2) the sound quality from the Aeros is phenomenally better than the RC-505.

I often record analog sub/mid bass sounds using side-chain compression. When I compare the dry signal from my mixer to the Aeros record bus, the sound is identical. When I A/B compare the exact same audio signal through the RC-505, the low end is crushed and the entire sound loses resolution, like a low quality mp3. This alone is why I need the Aeros - I want my recordings to sound amazing!

1 Like

RC-505 is 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear, stereo which is theoretically CD quality . OF course thereā€™s more to audio quality than format (DAC/ADC quality varies).

Curious what the challenge is for the seam transitions. It sounds like there is more than one thing going on and the next release might still have issues.

• Is cross fading required? Should there be an option to disable cross fades (perhaps until the issues are worked out)? It seems like a good idea, but perhaps too complex?
  • I doubt any of the lower end loopers have special handling/cross fades. Is it that the Aeros is more finicky because it is higher quality audio or that SS is setting higher expectations?
1 Like

Crossfsding is essential for soundsscape artists, such as myself. Yeah, the cheaper loopers donā€™t have that, but the high end ones do. Itā€™s literally the most important feature for myself and others like me. I wouldnā€™t have shelled out the money for this if it werenā€™t available, and Iā€™d be pissed as all heā€™ll if they abandoned it, which they clearly are not going to do.

I think the poorer sound quality of the RC-505 is not related to sample rate and bitrate, which is audio CD quality indeed - but its time stretching. Time stretching is horrible when it comes to audio quality, especially on devices with limited CPU.

Like @LordRadish, am a soundscaper too, give me good cross fades over crappy time stretching! :wink:

Part of the RC-505 issues are that the noise floor is high and it clips really easily even before the clipping LED comes on. It also suffers from serious clock drift due to overtaxing its processor when you do anything, which can also lead to it flashing and saying busy when you try to press anythingā€“(when it is midi slave).

I think crossfading is essential in any decent looper. Without a crossfade you hear a clip when the audio is hard cut. Glad they are ironing this out.

Time stretching can work if the dev really devotes some attention to the granular processing. Think about a whammy pedal for example which pitch shifts independent of time. It does so seamlessly with granular. Granular btw is also largely about crossfadesā€¦

Yes, and no. It depends on your acceptance threshold. I can often hear the artefacts of granularpitch shifting. Pitch shifting only sounds right when the grain sizes are adaptative to the signalā€™s local pitch. And thatā€™s for a monophonic trackā€¦ Correct pitch shifting needs a lot of processing power.

Big decision for SS is if they do time stretching on the fly or if they preprocess it. Not sure we have the luxury of having both.

Preprocessing will result in much higher quality. It might interfere with live use (but maybe not depending of how fast it works and the userā€™s needs).

I suspect peopleā€™s needs on this will vary quite a bit and will depend a lot on the details of the quality gain and how invasive it is (does the Aeros need to be stopped or can it change tempo in the background, does it take milliseconds, seconds, or longer).

One month and a half nowā€¦

ā€¦ and still nothing. Starts really sounding like a joke, but itā€™s us, users, people are laughing at.
Describing how much I am fed up with all of this would be pointless.

Wow impressedā€¦ Isnā€™t that the purpose of upgrades ? One questionā€¦ where are they ?

You mean the stuff that renders the whole device as usable for music as my last bike is ? Thank you so much for paying attention to thisā€¦ So much listening for usersā€¦

Finallyā€¦ Are you planning to become more agile, with regular predictable releases and content ? :thinking: Itā€™s nice to know we will never be in that situation anymore endlessly waiting for something we donā€™t even know the content of.

Before reaching any ā€œfull potentialā€, it would be nice to reach the specs used in commercials and becoming a device usable for what we paid forā€¦ months ago (years for some of usā€¦).

By your actions you are loosing your supports one after the other. Our friends have great time laughing at us who paid so much for a device the most basic sub 100 bucks looper can flawlessly achieve. I am convinced your vision is the right one, but I am also more and more convinced you may not be the ones who will eventually deliver it. React !!! Show me I am wrong ! Do it now !

2 Likes

You ā€˜canā€™t useā€™ it? What, exactly, are you doing with it? Trying to fix a car with it? Iā€™ve had mine all year, yeah, thereā€™s still some problems, but ā€˜unusableā€™? Bit dramatic?

If you really have friends ā€˜laughing at youā€™ over a pedal, perhaps you need some new friends.

Seriously, yeah, this is not optimal, but this doesnā€™t help anything.

3 Likes

Maybe dramatic indeed.
But for Itā€™s price it should be optimal since a long time. And for the price thatā€™s a real shame.
Thanking customers for their patience is nice, providing a fully working device is better.

2 Likes