Aeros MIDI Commands

This is a great idea which has been asked several times in the upwards portion of this forum. The thing to keep in mind or to keep your mind (sanity) is that this pedal is meant for a pedal board at the moment. The company is pursuing refinement in that direction first and foremost. The midi commands are secondary in order of importance at this time.

Just a heads up…asking for these improvements has been repeated and it seems the company has other plans at the moment. Although this pedal is somewhat incomplete it is a decent product but not great for people like myself with a fully midi rig.

IMHO this pedal will be this way for the next year at a minimum but that being said maybe they surprise us and tackle the midi issues sooner. In that time frame there are products that are continually coming on the market which may or may not equalize the situation.

1 Like

Yes, the 4 buttons on the Aeros unit need to be emulated in MIDI.

I’ve got my guitar thru Aeros into an amp on the Left channel and keyboard sounds thru Aeros into a PA on the Right channel. When I’m at the keyboard, I’d like the basic looping controls right by my hands, not “over there” on the floor.

2 Likes

Wow. Just would like to throw another voice in as far as the urgent need for full Midi implementation. I am with maxolla as far a frustration after reading your post. This thread had me feeling that Midi was getting rolled out more in the near term. I guess I jumped the gun, but I recently went all in with the Aeros and Maestro, reworking my pedalboard to accommodate them and removing my RME Babyface, which was the conduit for my iPad based Midi controlled looping solution. Like others, I have been looping hands free, in my case using Loopy HD on the iPad and triggering it via a Midi file that runs in parallel with either an MP3 drum track or click track if playing with a live drummer. These files are run from Bandhelper. I wanted to move to Aeros because I felt it might be a more stable and versatile long term solution. I initially had interest in Aeros over a year ago but went with the LoopyHD setup because you had no Midi implementation. I was excited to see the posts about Midi commands and made the assumption this was rapidly rolling out in coming updates. Your recent post now has me concerned that may not be the case.

Now I am going to have to scratch my head and maybe outboard the RME Babyface so I can continue that setup until MIDI is truly available. Very frustrating and I wish the developers had lowered expectations earlier in this thread.

I would strongly suggest a wide pallate of MIDI commands that users could assign their own CC# if possible rather than trying to please everyone. We need play, stop, volume, stop immediately, song selection (preferably as bank numbers, not CC), undo, Midi channel programming, among others. Allowing the ability to assign CCs would be a huge help for people who are already using Midi looping so that previously programmed Midi commands could be used without rewriting Midi files.

But most of all we just need full Midi implementation soon.

6 Likes

IMHO Aeros should not add new feature until they are willing to add the midi control for that as well. That implies they get caught up on adding midi commands for all the basic stuff and that they come up with a convention to avoid running out of CC commands (eg, overload some of the commands based upon values (e.g, for a single CC, value 1= change song part eol, value 2 = change song part eom , value 3 = Mute immediate, value 4 = Mute EOL, value5 = Mute EOM, etc. ). Hopefully this means that it takes 5-10 minutes for an engineer to use some standard API/config to setup a new midi command.

5 Likes

I’m disappointed about what it reveals about the internal design in aeros. If I were making something like this it would be all midi driven internally and then the physical buttons simply push the appropriate commands onto that internal midi queue. That means it would be impossible to implement anything that didn’t have midi support externally because it would all be midi driven internally.

It’s the “eat your own dog food” philosophy of development.

It’s clearly not like that internally so every feature they add has to get two trigger implementations. One physical and one midi, and of course time pressures to get stuff out means the latter gets left behind.

It’s sad for us as users as it means the difficulties of adding new features and testing their integration with existing features goes up exponentially, so we can only expect slower and slower releases.

Hoping I’m wrong.

5 Likes

I don’t know if it is more convenient to add new functions or that the already existing functions can be controllated via midi.

What is true is that an active part of this forum is claiming for full MIDI control.
That can give us more flexivility in our setups.

A short term solution, for the ones that have the option to send MIDI SYSEX messages, could be to post that SYSEX messages.

In my case I would be happy with the SYSEX for PLAY, OVERDUB, REC and UNDO with their code to select every track.

I don’t know if that is easier as assing MIDI CC for every function.

On the other hand I don’t know much about programming and I don’t know if is possible to program the interrupt handling for the buttons of the pedal to listen to midi messages too. For us could sound simple, but in the side of the programer it could be something that implies many work, I don’t know.

But for me would be the best new feature to add.

Hope that can help.

i quite like how on the rc500 you can change the buttons to mean what you want - but then on that looper you can also sync to rc5 and you can have 8 separate midi commands to outboard

That’s a good idea. Whether it’s 8 or 15 or 20, that’s probably enough for one person (for one gig) and you can change it to suit your needs.

The flip side is that if Aeros just has 8 or 15 or 20 commands, that choice wont work for all the people all the time.

Ideally Aeros has this covered with a more complete midi implementation that multiplexes many actions onto a single command. But falling short of that, you could add 5-10 slots for your chosen midi commands … in addition to the basic midi commands that maybe aren’t customizable (which are needed for basic operation and simple BB integration).

Program change for song selection

3 Likes

Program change for song selection

I’m belatedly digging into my Aeros and so much is great but I don’t at all understand how this wasn’t in the original firmware.

2 Likes

Hi,

Got a problem with 113 CC command for both BB and Aeros but they react differently, one is end of beat and the other is end of loop…

May be a different CC command for the Aeros part change would be great to avoid this problem, I have to diseable the BB part change for the moment…

Hey again, this is from the BB on 3.8.0 not filtering out the separate MIDI commands we made for the Aeros (CC113 values 101-106)

From manual:

• Value 101-106 - Begin the transition to part (part # = value # minus 100 , so value 102 is part 2) according to the Change Part setting (Immediately/End of Measure/End of Loop). If the part doesn’t exist in the song, the Aeros will ignore the command. This allows you to send a single on-press command for changing parts. This also allows you to switch the part on the Aeros without switching parts on the BeatBuddy (which ignores values 101-106).

The currently tested BB version fixes this issue, hopefully we can get that in your hands soon, for now changing the channel will be one possible solution

Stay tuned! Thank you for your feedback!

does only the maestro work wth the aeros? coz I can’t get my arduino diy midi controller to upload

Aeros works with any midi controller.

1 Like

Yes it will work with any MIDI controller!

1 Like

tried it last night with a arduino one with ch340 chip and it worked a bit briefly crashed for a bit and then now it doesn’t work at all will try updating from alpha latest firmware with locked features

So I have written and erased a couple of versions of this reply. This version I am trying to be as fair but pointed as possible.

You can read my full comment below, but the gist of this is: what is a rough timeline for providing expanded MIDI CC functionality and ability to assign a custom MIDI channel to Aeros, as I need to decide whether to hold tight or sell this thing?

A couple of months ago, based on this thread, I decided to pull the trigger and bought the Aeros and Maestro. I had been watching the Aeros a while. It seemed like it had the potential to be the best looper for my needs. The form factor is perfect in terms of size, has the option for multiple loops, and was built to have MIDI capability. Sadly full MIDI implementation was not a priority on release, so I waited. In the meantime I settled on using Loopy HD, an iPad app that allows up to 12 loops and can be run remotely by MIDI CC’s. I invested in an RME Babyface to move audio in and out of the iPad from my rig.

My setup is that of a one band band. I play guitar, sing, and use a set of bass pedals to provide backing bass or synth. Adding looping was inevitable, and allowed for even more complicated performance. but triggering loops with my feet proved challenging with all the other things I had going on. I discovered that I could program MIDI instructions that could run parallel with either a drum backing track, or if using a live drummer, with a click track. All of this starts when I select the next song on my setlist on Bandhelper. Now I am able to loop either guitar lines that I layer, or more complicated bass lines by dropping the guitar an octave with my Whammy Pedal.

The software setup has had challenges. Ipads, despite being preferred gear for live musicians, have long had issues with Midi clock stability. I have also seen some occasional problems with program crashes, which sucks during a performance, especially since the sound routing into an iPad and back out means you can lose ALL guitar sound, not just loops. So no way to play it off. I also wanted to be able to do some traditional looping with a foot controller for fun, and had not been successful getting that to work with Loopy HD. I had reasonable success with the Pigtronix Infinity looper prior to Loopy HD, but it was too limited with only 2 loops, so I started looking back at the state of MIDI development for the Aeros and found this thread.

It appeared (at least from early moderator comments in this thread) that MIDI implementation had become a focus and was imminent. With everything in lockdown, I decided that it was time to pull the trigger. I would have time to rework my pedal board to accommodate the Aeros and the Maestro, and to re-program my MIDI commands for each song I perform to suit the CCs available for the Aeros. Shortly after I ordered I noted a reply to a question by Brennan, indicating that MIDI implementation was going to be on the back burner while other issues were sorted out. The telling comment was regarding CCs for the hardware buttons on the Aeros: “The Aeros will be able to do these things, but it is not something that we can work on right now.”

So now I have 2 pieces of hardware on my pedalboard that are of little use for my setup, and may remain so for the foreseeable future. I have had to outboard my RME Babyface so I can resume use of Loopy HD. My question is what to do? Should I sell Aeros? Maestro may have some use to me as a MIDI controller. I may try controlling Loopy HD with it. I would love to hear a “no wait…in 2 months we should have a MIDI update coming”. As it is I cannot even select a Midi Channel for Aeros, and I am not willing to reprogram all my channel 1 commands for my synth to another channel just so I can play around with what little Aeros can do with Midi this far.

I will say, Aeros is not alone in being slow to adopt remote MIDI control. Pigtronix Infinity initially only used MIDI to sync to MIDI clock, and only later incorporated MIDI control. Once they did it was a relatively capable MIDI device. My frustration is how this forum created false expectations. I should have taken more note of Brennan’s earlier reply about overdub commands not being available, but even that comment stated “we do plan on adding more MIDI commands in an update soon”. SOON. This type of language drove my purchase.

Btw, if anyone reading this has experience with the EHX 95000, especially MIDI control, would love some input, because I am eyeing that as another consideration.

5 Likes

Hey there,

We’re sorry to hear that the Aeros is not where you need it to be yet, the only thing is, although you may not have seen progress in this particular area, there has been plenty elsewhere. We are not far from it now, but if that is your dealbreaker that is ok. We are trying our best to make this the looper any musician can use but that takes time to do correctly.

We can only focus on so much at one time if we want to get anything done, the progress has been non-stop and we plan on getting to MIDI expansion as soon as possible. We have Memory fixes, hands-free expansion and Auto Quantize as our next big releases, at that point we will begin our MIDI expansions which will not include mixer MIDI expansion until after we add panoramics. We have seen a lot of push for MIDI expansion so it is possible it could be bumped up.

We know it’s taken longer than we expected, but we are severely proud of where we’ve gotten to thus far and are excited to see how far we can take it.

Thank you for your patience and your thoughts!

Happy New Year :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really appreciate the growth in the Aeros and I understand the time it must take. I probably don’t say it enough, but it has shaped up to be a really excellent stand alone hardware looper. I’m an early adopter that felt pretty burned by receiving a device with only a portion of what was forecast. Lately, I’ve been using it every day for a couple weeks, including some of the lightweight MIDI functionality, and it is definitely my favorite stand alone looper. All the other loopers I own may have more fleshed out MIDI (that isn’t perfect), but they don’t hold much of a candle to Aeros in terms of sheer Part and Track organization and visual feedback. You are going to start seeing me use the Aeros soon in video, especially now that I’m tired of waiting for gigging to resume regularly.

The irony is, the MIDI Implementation in less capable loopers does help make them more powerful tools for users like me.

I don’t want to complain about Aeros, I want to be an active user. MIDI is such an important, sorely missing thing though. And what is there requires me to sit and think for hours (literally) how I’m going to work around them using the features of my controllers to bail me out. This thread has more views than any other thread I can find except some of the Firmware releases… and I wonder how many of the views in those threads are people looking to see what new MIDI implementation there is? Please take that as a sign and don’t wait for something like Panoramics before doing a comprehensive MIDI Implementation. Make a pattern for MIDI that is as future proof as you can devise which provides exactly what Aeros is capable of today and then continue on from there.

Thanks.

5 Likes

I agree to all above, please implement a comprehensive midi implementation ASAP, then continue with the other features.

4 Likes