Aeros MIDI Implementation Scope

Hmmm… Well if it is likely to be months, I may put this thing up for sale on Reverb and look at the looperlative. I Don’t really need the LCD screen, I just needed a looper with more tracks than the pigtronix. The one thing I like about the form factor are the buttons they chose. Unfortunately I misunderstood the slant of this midi thread. I bought the Aeros after seeing this thread, thinking that MIDI implementation was being rolled out. I only later learned that this would likely be a long thread discussion, and that they had other priorities before rolling out midi.

I use a MIDI file that runs in parallel with either backing tracks, or click tracks in the case of playing with a drummer, so the MIDI file controls looping and other parameters of my pedal board. It worked reasonably well with the pigtronix Infinity looper, but I needed more tracks and flexibility. I have been using Loopy HD on the iPad successfully, but in the past few months there have been frequent MIDI crashes, likely related to iPad core MIDI implementation changes. Given that experience, I think I need to get all of my audio out of the iPad, and go back to a hardware looper.

1 Like

Definitely!

As a further consideration on this. If you implemented MIDI with one CC per track and then use multiple values in it for different kind of muting

CC38
Value 0: Un-mutes track 1
Value 127: Mutes Track 1
Value 31: Mute Track 1 at EOL

CC39 same for Track 2

This would reduced the number of CCs vs. the one command per CC put still enable a lot of controllers to be used.

1 Like

You can use that right now. Use a PC based programming tool (FCBUnO_Setup.exe on Windows) to program the FCB1010. I used set up for a while and it works fine within the current confines of the aeros’s midi implementation

I think that’s worth considering. Simple, non-programmable toggle switches can still do the regular 0/127 mutes and controllers with more capability can do the more advanced muting. Seems like a good compromise if indeed something has to give.

I am referring to the Aeros Midi Commands post that appears to have been started by DavidPackouz in late 2019. This was my hop on point, and if you look at the thread it seems to be a cheering section for Midi implementation started by Singular Sound. Lots of encouragement by Packouz when responses came. I was naive but the tone of the thread was such that I really thought it was close enough to warrant me purchasing and familiarizing myself with it to hit the ground running. It wasn’t until later that a slice of reality was served up and Brennan indicated they had other fixes to work on that would get their attention before Midi.

Anyway, my mistake. I wish the start of the thread had provided a statement on their development timeline, and I hope that some of the frustration expressed in this thread is a learning point for them. Deleting the thread would be detrimental for new people seeking info on the state of Midi with the Aeros.

3 Likes

Can you please clarify “close”? Weeks, months, 2022?

2 Likes

Deep breath and sigh…

1 Like

Maybe a minor shot over the bow, as only 2 loops (still), but Pigtronix just released the new Infinity 3 fully MIDI capable looper. I am dead in the water for live gigging right now…my iPAD looper solution using Loopy HD, which worked great for months, went to hell in a handbasket last fall after an iOS update and I have not been able to recover a reliable setup. With my Aeros gathering dust, waiting for MIDI implementation, I went crazy and bought 2 Infinity 3’s and will use them.

The Infinity 3 is a curious release, as it seems to be a redesign of the original Infinity. Did not add more loops, and no major functional changes I can appreciate. They boast lower latency. MIDI implementation is…good…they left out the MIDI command for changing the time signature, though the manual indicates you use MIDI to do this. Have sent an email to support to clarify this. Odd that such a key setting cannot be accessed via some kind of button press on the device so you can easily program a preset on the fly.

Anyway, being familiar with the original Infinity 3, which worked well overall, I will work with tandem units a while. Going to see how the Maestro works with it, and put the Aeros in a box for now. If their eventual MIDI implementation knocks my socks off I will move it back to my board and sell the Infinity 3’s, but can’t wait any longer.

3 Likes

With venues opening up,I totally get the frustration. Things must not be going well at SS as they are dead silent as of late. All the best.

2 Likes

I’m glad I got out… I’ve been having more fun with loopler inside my polyeffects beebo (and my new chase bliss blooper looper) which can do so many things and midi for less in the past weeks then I ever did with aeros in 6 months. However I’m still checking in from time to time to see if someone is going to wake up and finally get this crap going one day then I may come back.

uhg… I don’t have the money to invest in a couple more loopers… my income has plummeted the past year due to the pandemic. Ima miss you Brock. Boooooooo, still see you over at the Gear Page :confused: . Dont blame you tho. I don’t see the poly beebo as my solution but I hear you. looking at the Looperlative LP2 as a possible way forward. but damn the beebo looks so cool for all the other things that it does.

1 Like

I never knew about the LP1 until just now, or I would have bought one. Holy smokes.

2 Likes

Define “very close”!!! Been hearing this for 2 years now!

2 Likes

Please allow for queued actions start at either:

• the end of the entire loop (largest loop from all the tracks), or at
  • the end of the selected tracks loop

For example, to mute two tracks at the same time when one is a multiple of the other’s length, I queue them both to mute at the entire end of loop. At other times, we’d like to mute a short loop way before the entire loop.

Please add this to the midi design (perhaps with a note “for future usage”). MIght be safe to assume there will be other event types needed in future.

Can you share what commands will be added and an approximate time until beta/release? I’m really wanting rec/overdub for my MM

Hello!
I’d like to echo Jdd – It’s been about 6 weeks since this thread was started and I was wondering (along with others, I’m sure) if you might be able to update us as to where progress is on this?
Thank you! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey all,

This is not a post committed to creating a timeline, we will have more information on the MIDI shortly.

We can say this: the post shows an overwhelming amount of support for expanding the MIDI command potential to have multiple behaviors per CC command. We also believe that this is the best way to utilize the complexity of the Aeros to the fullest.

We understand this is not ideal for many users that utilize a MIDI device that is more limited in its control, we hope to have solutions for you eventually as well, but cannot focus the scope to diminish the potential. There are, however, many MIDI devices (including our MIDI Maestro), that can handle this behavior.

We hope we can make you all happy eventually, but we can only take one step at a time.

I will now close this thread, thank you all for your comments thoughts and intentions, they were very helpful.

1 Like

Just poking to show off the latest MIDI Implementation in beta 5.1.0 :slight_smile:

Aeros Firmware 5.1.x - Aeros Loop Studio / Docs and Downloads - Singular Sound Forum

1 Like