BeatBuddy AutoPilot 2020?

No problem…glad I could help :wink: . I was a bit on the fence too and then I found a brand new one in a local online marketplace that someone tried and didn’t like. I got it for about 2/3rds the cost of a new one so to me that was a no-brainer. I also bought the premium library and have been blown away by how many beats and songs are in there…to me the AutoPilot is just a bonus that I didn’t know about when I bought the BB. I have also learned about BBM and drumkits with bass lines from the songs posted so nicely by folks on this forum (@persist is a standout in that category) and I’ve been having a blast with the BB.

I am really looking forward to the AutoPilot feature though, especially with the functionality that Goran has already mentioned in this thread.

1 Like

The bass added to BB drumsets is just a hack and not an officially supported functionality. That’s the reason why we haven’t gone down that rabbit hole with the premium content. The available memory is already very limited for the drums themselves.
However, for a future iteration of BB (whenever that may come about), I have already proposed to include support for an additional 2 instruments. I will continue to urge the development in that direction once the time comes, as I know that it is a highly needed and desired feature. I have some ideas on how those additional instruments could work.
With regards to demos, it would not be practical to include everything from every song. They are there just for reference. If you are looking for beats for a particular song and it is available, know that they are authentic transcriptions of the originals.

2 Likes

Not sure why you’d do this? Leave it as a dedicated drum unit…Jeez you can get far FAR better results using a DAW and creating your own backing track MP3’s.

BeatBuddy is a live drum tool, not a MIDI playback machine! If people want to hack it, well, good luck to them, but please don’t follow Alice down the rabbit hole. You have a great and successful niche product. There is NOTHING else out there close to BB…there are however LOTS of midi file players! jmo No offence meant to anyone.

3 Likes

As a 45+ year drummer and new guitarist, I agree with this 100%.

1 Like

If you’re using Windows, it can be found in the Releases page on GitHub (download Releases.zip and unzip it)

For Mac or Linux you will need to compile the source code

1 Like

See MarkF48’s post

Is there somewhere a dedicated explanation how to compile this for Mac? I tried with QT Creator & homebrew but there seem to be missing links

From https://github.com/SingularSound/openbbm/commit/cf756cb12d810eb8bcdd169faf42fef73fa4fc25

Please let us know how it turns out

Building in MacOS X

Initial Setup

To build BBManager you’ll need the current suported version of qt installed.

You will need the latest version of qt to build the BeatBuddy Manager. You can get it from homebrew using brew install qt. Make sure to follow all instructions, as there may be issues with symlink creation that require you to add the binary directory to your path manually.

To successfully run BBManager, you need a local installation of libquazip and libMinini.

Ideally, set up Qt Creator and configure it to work with your installation of Qt. This will allow you to run the project from the IDE without any further work.

Those should be installed at the ~/lib directory after running the make install command, because the OS looks for shared libraries there without any configuration; the files to be moved into that directory can be found in BBManager/libs/quazip/macx/release and BBManager/libs/minIni/macx/release respectively.

If you decide not to set up Qt Creator, you will need to provide suitable binaries of libquazip and libminIni to be loaded dynamically.

Building and Deploying

The project beatbuddy-manager-lite.pro will hold all project of the BeatBuddy Manager, so in order to run the application the project file is BBManagerLean/BBManagerLean.pro as this will run the BeatBuddy Manager. In BBManager/project you can build by running qmake && make clean && make all. The BBManager.app will be in the same directory, and you can run this to test the app.

While dependencies don’t change, future builds can be done with just make.

To pack for deployment - ie: to share with other people - you need to run BBManager/mac_deployment/deploy.sh with BBManager/project/BBManager.app as an argument; this will make the dynamic libraries be loaded from the BBManager.app bundle, instead of them being sought elsewhere in the system.

The deployment script has been temporarily decomissioned; we will bring it back soon. In order to distribute the app you need to make sure to build it and include the libraries in the bundle, making sure they point at the included dependencies as needed.

@persist Thank You! That ist much more complete than the current description on github

I think these scripts are missing from the repository - but you might not need them if you are just compiling and running on your own machine

Back to the original post…any update when AutoPilot will be generally available?

2 Likes

I have been watching the development on Github.
I think that we all appreciate the contribution of all those that are trying to help.
But…there is very little activity happening.
Sometimes it is weeks before I see any updates.
Where is Singular Sound in all this?
They need to step up!

Yea, I do not find it easy to sing, play guitar and manage a foot petal. I guess some are using BB for live performances but I hardly get it to work in my basement! For pure jamming I bought the Positive Grid Spark which is great - “full band” or play along with your favorite songs online.

I’m really looking forward to this being released! Hopefully it will happen soon!

2 Likes

Okay, the more I think about it the more excited get about this feature! I wouldn’t use it on all songs but it would make performing specific songs so much better! The idea of not being planted to the BeatBuddy for a whole song would greatly improve my interaction with the crowd.

2 Likes

I’m waiting… I’m waiting!!, :smile:

2 Likes

Maybe in 2022

It would be nice to have a date preview from Singular Sound. In my job, I am always obliged to do work planning with a commitment to dates. Here everything seems more relaxed. Any job vacancies here?

2 Likes

After missing several promised delivery dates, they no longer offer dates for pending software and firmware releases.

:rofl: It’s well known that if you have fever you should break the thermometer :thermometer:

1 Like