BeatBuddy Firmware 4.0.x "Playlists!"

Hey there, sorry, what setting was reset by the update specifically?

Let me know, thanks!

The behavior of the start when pressing the pedal. In order to use the external pedal to go to the next song, the main pedal has to be to start the song on release. That allows one to press and hold the main pedal to exit the song, then the external can advance to the next song.

Just downloaded the new firmware,4.0.1 and got the same issue - “No Songs” after restarting my Beatbuddy. Going back to 3.94. Question though, once they get this Playlist thing sorted, will there be a way to save existing songs into a Playlist, with having different tempos? I tried changing the tempo of a song via the pedal only before saving it into my Playlist, and then all the other songs in the playlist changed to the same tempo too. Want to have different tempos for songs without having to set up in BBM beforehand, and also not having to manually set the tempo while playing live.

Thanks, Michael

Hey guys, to better assist you here

1. What computer do you use? Mac/PC?
  2. What version of the BBM are you on?
  3. What version of the BB were you previously on when you updated to 4.0.x?
  4. Were you previously synced to the computer?

We can not cleanly reproduce this issue and thus are having a tough time pinning it down. If you have this happen to you, please copy the contents of your SD after it happens, ZIP the files, and send it to support@singularsound.com.

That would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Please make sure you have the BeatBuddy to allow each song to have its own tempo.

Playlists do not alter the song’s tempo once they are added to the list.

I just tested this and the Start Beat setting did not ‘flip’ when updating, it is still set to Release.

This is not exactly true, you can always use the external pedal to switch songs no matter if the Main pedal is on Press or Release

Please let me know if I’ve misunderstood.

I’m using Beat Buddy manager 1.6.6 on Windows 10. I updated to firmware 4.0.1 from 3.9.? I can’t remember exactly.

Brennan: I think I got it figured out what is happening at least on my end for my issue of losing my SD card contents. When I upgraded the firmware and then tried the Playlist feature, I had not set up a sync with BBM for a long while prior. I tried upgrading to 4.0.1, which went fine, but as soon as I rebooted the pedal all my data was gone, and the SD card just showed 3 Playlist folders only. I then manually copied my data back onto the card and then revertyed back to 3.9.4, keeping the playlist folders that were already on the card with nothing else.

I just tried the upgrade to 4.0.1 again, and this time I first made sure I had a recent sync and project file with BBM with my 3.9.4, and then I did the upgrade and this time it seems to be working and my SD Card is not going blank after reboot. I am not sure of all the technicalities of it, but the info seems to be staying. For reference I am running Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Latest BB Mananger and now 4.0.1. Hope this helps, Michael

I’m using BBM 1.65 on Windows 10. I think I was using firmware 3.9.9.4 before, but I now have now way of knowing. I think I was previously synced, but I can’t remember how long before I tried the update.
Sorry I can’t be more specific.

You can figure out the firmaware version you have loaded by going to the About Beatbuddy menu, as it tells you there.

I would just sync your BB to your computer and then try the new update and see if it takes. Just make a backup of your data - I did this by actually copying the whole SD card to a folder on my PC so I could easily replace it back on the SD card.

OK, the song has to be completely stopped to use the external pedal to advance. If you stop the song with the external pedal, a great function of that pedal, then you long press on the main pedal to get out of the song without playing any more of it. Only then can the external pedal be used to advance the song. The only way you can use a long press on the main pedal is if the start is on the release, not the press. That’s what got reset. I found that it also got reset when, using a mac, I couldn’t sync the project to the card, I had to export it. So, this indicates that the problem wasn’t the firmware upgrade, it was the writing of the project to the SD card. Now, when I had to do this export, not sync, of the project again since the firmware upgrade, it again wiped out the pedal setting, but even worse, it wiped out my playlists. So, it’s really a BBM problem, not a firmware problem. When is that new library manager going to be ready that will be playlist aware?

Hey guys thank you for your feedback, here is the official response here:

Thank you for your patience!

Could the issue be the number of folder prior to the firmware update? I have not updated, but I have more than 128 folders presently, so I would presume that anything that would try to reduce my number of folders, or fail to recognize a number of folders greater than 111, would cause something of a disaster.

It may be! We can try this out, see if having prem lib loaded when updating causes a different behavior.

Thanks!

I’m using the last update, sinds the beginning. I had also the problem with the card and after syncing the card, I never had a problem with the playlists. Éven after a format of my card.

There is a problem…if you number your files, like I do, becouse, I number my files on my Aeros to, so I can find a number in notime on my Aeros……Don’t type a dot for the number on the BB files. If you do, you lost every file, that have a dot

The issue of using periods (and other unsupported characters) in song names in the
BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) was reported a couple of years ago. Examples of how not to name songs are
1. Song Name (instead, use 01 Song Name)
Mrs. Robinson (instead, try Mrs Robinson)

I think this might have been addressed in the BeatBuddy (BB) User Guide but can’t recall. It’s been posted several times on the forum. Sorry you learned the hard way.

1 Like

Wow! Seems like a “couple of years” too long for a (partial) fix…

Indeed, but I quoted it, because maybe there are people who just got a BB and would have the same problem as me and like me, too lazy to read the manual. :woozy_face:

1 Like

i have 4.0.1 on my BeatBuddy. i just tried “playlists” for the first time. i experienced the same thing as reported with “NO SD CARD”. i removed it from the pedal and put it into my computer (Windows10) and my heart sunk when it only showed “Playlists”. Then i looked at the address bar ( folder>This PC> removable disk(G:) > PLAYLISTS) and hit the “up to this PC” arrow to the left of the address bar.
All of my songs were there as well as my PARAMS, Drumsets, Effects, ETC.
i then put it back into my BB and everything was there.
i’m not certain what i "hit " on my BB to lock it up but i figure that it doesn’t return to the folder above the “Playlists” level. I’ll play with it some more and report back if I discover anything.

This may have helped us figure out the issue! Thank you for reporting more news soon, hopefully!

2 Likes

Brennan,
I just got to “play” with “Playlists” again. I couldn’t get it to hang up again. I had not synchronized the card with BBM and therefore I was not seeing the “Playlists” folder. I went back and read the instructions in the first post in this thread, trying to figure out why I couldn’t see them and ,‘DUH!’
After I Sync’d the card to BBM, my Playlists were visible and everything works as planned (so far).
Perhaps the lack of Syncing the card in BBM is the source of all of the “complaints”. I was looking at it in “File Explorer”> Removable Disk(G:)
I hope this helps!

1 Like