BeatBuddy Firmware 4.1.x “Options, lots of options!”

Yes but i used to use the same seetings to msb and lsb on onsong. I guess i should set msb always to 0 since i have 6 only six folders. It makes.sense??

MSB 0 can include any folders from 1-128, MSB 1 includes all folders 129-256, to access folder 2, you should be sending MSB 0 LSB 1
To access folder 6 you should be sending MSB 0 LSB 5
To access folder 129, you should be sending MSB 1 LSB 0

The PC command selects the song in the folder

Please verify you are sending the correct commands to open the BeatBuddy songs you want!

1 Like

So uh since this is out of beta (and has been for a while :face_holding_back_tears:), what’s a guy got to do to to get the Spreadsheet updated around here? :kissing: :wink: :grinning:

a curious thing is that before the upgrade everything worked fine, even if the msb was at any value.
after the upgrade it doesn’t work anymore.
I’m going to have to change msb song to song in onsong. heavy work . there are more than 250 songs.

We will update it soon, you can always reference the Manual for the spreadsheet

Before you do this, try just staying on the firmware that was working correctly and we can try to see why this is happening on your end

Thanks

1 Like

Use these steps and just find the version you were using on the forum by searching for it, for example the one before this release was 4.0.1 , but I do not know if you were on that version.

My intention would be to use it in case I would accidentally press the transition button too late (i.e. right at the beginning of a measure as opposed to by the end of the prior measure, which I occasionally do), to avoid a section of the song starting a measure later than intended.

My only issue with this stems from how I trigger the start of my songs using CC-113 Midi commands (i.e. my “Midi Global” command in OnSong to play Part 1 is CC-113 with a value of 1 immediately followed with CC-113 with a value of 0; my midi command to play Part 2 is CC-113 with a value of 2 immediately followed with CC-113 with a value of 0; etc.), which causes the BeatBuddy to skip over the song’s “Intro” (my intros are usually just some sort of count to get everyone to start at the same time) and directly into the first measure of the song part that I’m triggering.

That’s fine for me and what I would want the option to do if I was already in the middle of a song, but for example, if I’m in the middle of rehearsing a song and we’re trying to hammer out a specifically difficult section of a song (say Song Part 4), having the option to start a song from Song Part 4 but still include the count-in intro is key for me. With the option enabled, the only way for me to play the intro is to press the BeatBuddy pedal directly and start from Part 1.

I’m also using this almost exclusively at church, and there are also times when we’ll only play the latter half of a song (i.e. starting from the Bridge), so we wouldn’t want to start from the beginning…but having a count-in is 1000% vital, and using the Transition Forgiveness setting enabled unfortunately eliminates this, in my case.

Honestly if there were a way, or an option, to ignore the transition forgiveness if the “Intro” beat is playing, it would solve my issue entirely.

This is not what Transition Forgiveness handles, this would really be a feature request for a count in even when receiving a MIDI command from stopped

Am I correct that something like this would fix your issue?

Possibly. The thing is that the Beatbuddy does already do this when the transition forgiveness feature is disabled. When it’s enabled I kind of get the first click of the intro and then it changes to the beat for the part that I’m activating as if it’s thinking that I want to skip over the intro and transition directly into the part.

Does that make sense? I’m not sure that I’m really sufficiently explaining the issue.

Would’ve been great to include a ‘fill’ option for the foot switches when having added the ‘next/previous part’ options - just say’n!

Not sure about what other BB users do but I use a DAW to create OP songs. One of the biggest problems for me is not having the capability to change tempo within or more importantly, at the end of a song.
When will SS create an Firmware upgrade to enable this Control Change to be recognised?

@rossmusic, have you tried BB as a slave to your DAW to see how it handles the slow down? I haven’t strictly speaking done this but I find I can use my tempo slider on my iPad the BB slows to the new tempo quite well (and my audio looper time stretches, etc). BUT… only works if someone else is playing guitar and I am free to ‘operate’ the BB from screen (but I guess I could assign an external pedal to send new tempo to BB (I use MIDI Designer pro and StreamByter on my iPad for crap like that).

I can see two possible solutions: a pedal that is mapped to send the tempo change to BB or external source of tempo (time code). I also run Cubasis on my iPad… it does some things like that better than my desktop!

The “slow down” pedal isn’t that hard to create. Eg If I did that… I’d dial the new tempo to send when that pedal is pressed… and press it last bar of song half speed ending.

Not being awful, but you’re actually using the BB as a MIDI player with nice drum sounds. You could still use the BB as the lovely sound source and just send the notes from a midi player on something like a phone or tablet? The midi player will happily speed up and slow down at beginnings and endings?

Let me know if you need more info or help setting up a “slow down” pedal!

@BrennanSingularSound
Where do you want bugs sent? I have some bug details now that I’m digging deeper into “no fill” transitions and even one thing missed (I think) in fix of transition from pause. Happy to beta test if required.

Thanks for your reply but with respect, you’re missing my point! If I want to use the BB as a drum sound processor, I could use a multitude of different bits of kit.
I use Sonar to create my midi drum files and in doing so the BB works fine with tempo change messages being sent and received perfectly. When I save the midi drum file (with tempo changes included) and create a song file in BBM the tempo changes either get ignored or are lost in the conversion from midi to sng file.
Back to my reason for buying the BB, I want to create and use the Beat Buddy as a player of midi drum tracks without the complications of lugging around additional bits of kit. The one press capability of a single pedal is perfect but as far as midi capability, it’s a pedal that is unfinished with the absence of such an important feature as midi tempo speed control.

I use the BB as master so all my songs are at the tempo I set them to.

So do I, but can you get it to slow the tempo at the end of a song by using control messages within the midi file developed in a DAW?

Rossmusic, have a good look at some tutorials phil flood has put up. He shifts the notes across bar to achieve same effect (as if slowing or speeding up) while BB happilly plays along at same ‘tempo’. It means that beats don’t match visual display while you’re notes are at odd intervals… but it’s the bird in the hand right now.

It’s in two parts and the files got lost (a crash and a site name change?) and were then reposted by Phil , so bear with it… but it could help you… if you use Logic pro… but most DAWs have some sort of time stretching/loop or part sizing ability. I use Cubase and while I haven’t done what Phil is talking about… I know I could.

Tutorial part 1

Part 2

1 Like

I am not able to download the firmware. The link seems broken.

Just tested and the link appears to be working:

1 Like

Yes, this is what I do. It is a compromise, it takes a little bit of extra time, but it works. No MIDI necessary.

1 Like