BeatBuddy Firmware 4.1.x “Options, lots of options!”

I did the upgrade and onsong stopped loading songs on BB via midi, is there any midi configuration that I should do?

I was really excited, particularly for the transition forgiveness feature…and it ALMOST works exactly how I’d hoped it would, but it introduced one significant issue for me in the way that I use beat buddy with OnSong that unfortunately makes the feature unusable.

In OnSong I have midi triggers saved for each specific song section that initiates part of the song, and then immediately sends the command to end the transition so that I don’t have to take any other actions (i.e. if I want to start the song using the Part 2 of the song, it triggers CC-113 with a value of 2 and then immediately sends CC-113 with a value of 0). The problem this is introducing is only when I start the song it will only play the first beat of my Count-In or Intro and then it IMMEDIATELY transitions into the song part instead of playing the full Count-In or Intro first.

The only way I am able to circumvent this whenever the transition forgiveness is on is by pressing the BeatBuddy button on the pedal itself instead of relying on my OnSong cues…but unfortunately that also only works if I want to start the song using Part 1 of the song, which quite often isn’t the case, and particularly during rehearsal when I want to jump into a song partway through to go over a specific section but still rely on the Count-In for everyone to come in on time.

This was exactly why they went back and made it optional via pref. A lot of songs I play have full measure transitions, where you have to hit it on 1 for the song to sound right.

I have a lot more scenarios where I need the full transition to play than I’ve ever had where I was a full measure late on triggering the transition. I understand the issue it solves, but losing the ability to play a full measure transition is a pretty steep loss.

If you REALLY wanted to be able to do it, you’d have to modify all your transitions to include the last measure before the transition and then update Onsong accordingly. Otherwise the pedal is behaving exactly as you instructed it to do by having transition forgiveness on.

Edit: Maybe another option would be to move the 113-0 to beat 3 of the measure? But that still requires modifying all of those parts in Onsong. Doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Could you please give more details about what is not working? Please make sure you are not using the latest version of OnSong as this is reported to not work with the BeatBuddy.

Maybe this setting is not what you were actually needing then? This setting is meant to deal with commands sent too late, which is why the transition command being sent immediately is acting as it does.

What is the current behavior you are trying to avoid with the feature you would have wanted?

I use the latest firmware on onsong 2020.
The onsong dont load song after I upgrade th bb as it did

I think that is something related to msb midi

What is the setting you have if you go to Main Pedal > MIDI Settings > MIDI In > Program Change?

Is it set to Default Mode?

Yes but i used to use the same seetings to msb and lsb on onsong. I guess i should set msb always to 0 since i have 6 only six folders. It makes.sense??

MSB 0 can include any folders from 1-128, MSB 1 includes all folders 129-256, to access folder 2, you should be sending MSB 0 LSB 1
To access folder 6 you should be sending MSB 0 LSB 5
To access folder 129, you should be sending MSB 1 LSB 0

The PC command selects the song in the folder

Please verify you are sending the correct commands to open the BeatBuddy songs you want!

1 Like

So uh since this is out of beta (and has been for a while :face_holding_back_tears:), what’s a guy got to do to to get the Spreadsheet updated around here? :kissing: :wink: :grinning:

a curious thing is that before the upgrade everything worked fine, even if the msb was at any value.
after the upgrade it doesn’t work anymore.
I’m going to have to change msb song to song in onsong. heavy work . there are more than 250 songs.

We will update it soon, you can always reference the Manual for the spreadsheet

Before you do this, try just staying on the firmware that was working correctly and we can try to see why this is happening on your end

Thanks

1 Like

Use these steps and just find the version you were using on the forum by searching for it, for example the one before this release was 4.0.1 , but I do not know if you were on that version.

My intention would be to use it in case I would accidentally press the transition button too late (i.e. right at the beginning of a measure as opposed to by the end of the prior measure, which I occasionally do), to avoid a section of the song starting a measure later than intended.

My only issue with this stems from how I trigger the start of my songs using CC-113 Midi commands (i.e. my “Midi Global” command in OnSong to play Part 1 is CC-113 with a value of 1 immediately followed with CC-113 with a value of 0; my midi command to play Part 2 is CC-113 with a value of 2 immediately followed with CC-113 with a value of 0; etc.), which causes the BeatBuddy to skip over the song’s “Intro” (my intros are usually just some sort of count to get everyone to start at the same time) and directly into the first measure of the song part that I’m triggering.

That’s fine for me and what I would want the option to do if I was already in the middle of a song, but for example, if I’m in the middle of rehearsing a song and we’re trying to hammer out a specifically difficult section of a song (say Song Part 4), having the option to start a song from Song Part 4 but still include the count-in intro is key for me. With the option enabled, the only way for me to play the intro is to press the BeatBuddy pedal directly and start from Part 1.

I’m also using this almost exclusively at church, and there are also times when we’ll only play the latter half of a song (i.e. starting from the Bridge), so we wouldn’t want to start from the beginning…but having a count-in is 1000% vital, and using the Transition Forgiveness setting enabled unfortunately eliminates this, in my case.

Honestly if there were a way, or an option, to ignore the transition forgiveness if the “Intro” beat is playing, it would solve my issue entirely.

This is not what Transition Forgiveness handles, this would really be a feature request for a count in even when receiving a MIDI command from stopped

Am I correct that something like this would fix your issue?

Possibly. The thing is that the Beatbuddy does already do this when the transition forgiveness feature is disabled. When it’s enabled I kind of get the first click of the intro and then it changes to the beat for the part that I’m activating as if it’s thinking that I want to skip over the intro and transition directly into the part.

Does that make sense? I’m not sure that I’m really sufficiently explaining the issue.

Would’ve been great to include a ‘fill’ option for the foot switches when having added the ‘next/previous part’ options - just say’n!

Not sure about what other BB users do but I use a DAW to create OP songs. One of the biggest problems for me is not having the capability to change tempo within or more importantly, at the end of a song.
When will SS create an Firmware upgrade to enable this Control Change to be recognised?

@rossmusic, have you tried BB as a slave to your DAW to see how it handles the slow down? I haven’t strictly speaking done this but I find I can use my tempo slider on my iPad the BB slows to the new tempo quite well (and my audio looper time stretches, etc). BUT… only works if someone else is playing guitar and I am free to ‘operate’ the BB from screen (but I guess I could assign an external pedal to send new tempo to BB (I use MIDI Designer pro and StreamByter on my iPad for crap like that).

I can see two possible solutions: a pedal that is mapped to send the tempo change to BB or external source of tempo (time code). I also run Cubasis on my iPad… it does some things like that better than my desktop!

The “slow down” pedal isn’t that hard to create. Eg If I did that… I’d dial the new tempo to send when that pedal is pressed… and press it last bar of song half speed ending.

Not being awful, but you’re actually using the BB as a MIDI player with nice drum sounds. You could still use the BB as the lovely sound source and just send the notes from a midi player on something like a phone or tablet? The midi player will happily speed up and slow down at beginnings and endings?

Let me know if you need more info or help setting up a “slow down” pedal!

@BrennanSingularSound
Where do you want bugs sent? I have some bug details now that I’m digging deeper into “no fill” transitions and even one thing missed (I think) in fix of transition from pause. Happy to beta test if required.