BeatBuddy Manager -- Mac Beta

This will be an easy fix. I understand how this is annoying though! :slight_smile:

I am having difficulty. I have followed the istructions for downloading this program. I get a file on my desktop and can open the manager. I do not find any file labled SD_CARD. The files that are contained in the Workspace all seem to be empty. Is anyone else having this problem? I have tried the download a number of times with the same results. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the beta :slight_smile:

I’m diving into the beta as a novice using BBM for the first time, and have watched the tutorials and reviewed the documentation.

Here are some observations, questions, and maybe bugs? with some beginner questions thrown in.

Screenshots are at the bottom of my post.

1. Beats Window Pane and selected song window focus. It would be nice if the selected Song would be at the Top in the Beats window.

Example: From the Songs list, I select the Blues Folder > Blues 3-6/8. In the Beats window, the selected song is at the bottom. It would be nice if the selected song is always at the top.

2. Mac Beta and Project question: The Beta comes with the project SD_CARD. This is convenient, but is it required?

As a test, I moved it out of the Project Folder and inserted my own SD Card I use in the pedal titled “NO NAME”. In BBM, I imported and gave it the project name “default”. BBM appeared to successfully import the project and I can synchronize.

The point of the question is, whether this is helps with testing the Beta, or do you need Mac users to only use the SD_CARD project you provided?

3. Export folder path issue: When Exporting a BB Song to import to “My Songs” (self created folder), the “save as” file name includes the path: “user_lib\Blues_4-_6_8”. And wants to save the song to the root level of the projects folder.

Am I right to understand what I can/should do is remove “user_lib” from the file name and save it to the directory: /user_lib/songs folder? see screenshot.

Also is this intended behaivor perhaps for the beta, so we understand where we should navigate first before saving the song exports?

4. Drag an Drop Songs? I’m still getting up to speed on drag & drop, but noticed something that perhaps should not occur?

a. In the Songs list window, should we be able to drag BB songs to our own self created song folder? I can and did by dragging “Metronome - 11/8” to “My Songs”, and synchronized the project. From the Pedal, I see My Songs, but Metronome doesn’t show. And, from the Pedal, when looking in Metronome, it’s now missing the song I dragged to my songs.

I realize what I’m trying to do should involve the Export>Import steps… but thought perhaps it would be good to prevent us from moving things, that should not be moved?

b. In the Song list window, when dragging a song to a non visible area (beyond the scroll area), the window pane doesn’t auto scroll to bring the destination folder into view. Let me know if you need me to explain this more.

Screenshots.
1 Beat window
[ATTACH]407[/ATTACH]

1. File Path
    [ATTACH]408[/ATTACH]

2. Drag n Drop
    [ATTACH]409[/ATTACH]

Thanks for all the work. I look forward to trying the final mac manager.

You don’t need to find it (though it resides inside /user_lib/project/SD_CARD.
Simply follow the instructions in the opening post: open BBManager, press File > Open Project. The necessary directory will be opened automatically for you.

Thank You very much, JT for such a detailed analysis!
I will try to answer some of your concerns.

1. You are probably right, and it will be indeed very convenient to make it so that whenever a song is selected, the main window automatically gets scrolled to the very top.
  2. The project coming with the Mac beta is not usual. It is a modified shipped content with fixed paths to source MIDI files. While you can use whatever project you want, you may have difficulties with drag’n’drop and copy/paste of song parts. You can definitely move the SD_CARD project and rename it to whatever you wish! It won’t break it.
  3. This is a bug. I’ve developed the code for Windows version of Qt, where it works just fine. Looks like Mac version of Qt handles the same input data a bit differently. This will be fixed.
  4. a. Yes, unfortunately, there is currently a bug when song goes missing after dragging it between folders :frowning:
    b. This is also a possible bug in Mac version of Qt. The same code allows for scrolling in Windows just fine. Will get fixed. Thanks for finding this!

I am honoured to hear that. Coming from you, it is really the best praise! The final version will be ready soon enough.

Woo-hoo! While finalizing the source code the issue with song vanishing when dragging between folders was spotted and fixed!

For the non-IT muso’s simple things throw us. I had the same issue not being able to find the directory. It didn’t open automatically. In the instructions you could make it a little clearer that if doesn’t open automatically you need to find it and the path is
user_lib/project/SD_CARD. Apart from that initial set-up problem, its working great for me. Thanks a lot.

Well, I was unaware this could be the issue. Sorry for that!
I’ve added this info into an opening post.

I know that what I am asking is becoming repetitious, but … all of the files are empty. If I download the SD_Card and put it in the user_lib/project, will the manager be able to find it or do I need to do something else.

Hmm… What are you trying to download exactly?
A complete archive (BBManager.app + Workspace with content) (363 Mb) contains everything you need.
The project file is located in BBWorkspace/user_lib/projects/SD_CARD/. Just open BBManager, use File > Open Project, navigate to that folder and select whatever BBP file is there.

YES!! Loving the Mac Version! Thanks for all your hard work Daefecator!

Yes, that is exactly what I have attempted to download (five times now) and it is showing up with all of the files empty.

Most of the folders are indeed empty, and this is intended.
The project you need is in BBWorkspace/user_lib/SD_CARD.

Like I have said repeatedly, BBWorkspace/user_lib/SD_CARD is not there to choose. I will wait for the official version with the installer. Thanks anyway.

Could someone create a video of after the instal of Mac Beta on how to import/export songs into BB,just not getting it.Thanks

You don’t choose the folder.
Like I have said repedatedly, you choose the BBP file inside there! :slight_smile: It is called Daefecator.BBP.

After the official version is ready, this process may be simpler. Thanks for taking a shot at beta version!

Is there going to be a version that’s actually coded and compiled on a Mac anytime soon (or ever)? I’m holding out for that. Daefecator, no offence and I can appreciate that you’re spending time working on this but really, developing Mac software on a Windows box in a VM is pretty low rent.

No offense taken, there really can be issues related to using virtual machine, like added latency and stuff.
However, the compiled result is absolutely the same no matter you are using virtual machine or a physical one.

Having said that, yes, there will be an official Mac version soon. However, there is a huge chance it will also be compiled on a virtual machine. Having an app at hand, you won’t be able to tell anyways :slight_smile:

Has the company’s own software development team been working on a Mac version, or has all the work been done by a volunteer?

Thanks so much doing this! I have a problem though - my MAC ( OSX 10.10.1 ) will not let me launch the the Manager because it says it;s incompatible. Any ideas?