Midi Sync/BB and Voicelive 3. WOW.

Finger, zero noise issues. Now that the VL3 exports to USB, the Tascam doesn’t get used much, and when it does it’s usually on a table someplace. I’d like to know how you run your BB through an EQ, stereo or mono? Did you match impedance at all?

Actually, I run my signal through an EQ before it reaches the Beat Buddy where it’s still a mono signal. Where I get some of the EQ for the Beat Buddy is in the Control Box I built just for the Beat Buddy to help antennuate the signal due to the “High Output” of the Beat Buddy. I also added some Tone Controls to take the Harsh Edge off the Cymbals. It balances out the signal perfectly and I run the Volume on the Beat Buddy at 40%, the Control Box Volume is set at 40% and the Tone set at 30% through .1mfd Capacitors. So the Beat Buddy signal is actually cut by 80% from it’s original signal. This balances it out to better match the Digitech JamMan Stereo Delay Looper Pedal and I get a very nice balance for recording. After the JamMan Stereo Delay Looper, the signal goes into the Alesis MultiMix4 Mixer and then out to both amps. The Mixer is where I tap out for the recorder. I am actually using the BB both channels by then. The original signal flows through a BBE Sonic Maximizer just on one side to get the good separation of the signal. I did have a Flanger in there too but it became too noisy so it had to be removed. If I had to do it over again and I still might just do it that way is to run direct out of both channels on the BB into two MXR M108 Mixers then on to the JamMan Stereo Delay Looper. This way the output of the Beat Buddy could be EQ’d a little more closely which would probably sound better overall. What most people don’t know is that I “Quantize” the Drum Tracks with Beat Builder and also lower the volumes of each of the drum hits as well so the signal is very smooth coming out of the Beat Buddy itself. It’s ablsolute “Butter” by the time it reaches the Mixer. Absolute Heaven and it’s “Dead On The Beat”. The “Double Bass” hits from the fills are removed in the Beat Builder as well so all the corrections are also made to the Beats. It doesn’t get any better than this and all of the “Imperfections” are taken out of the picture (so to speak) and the sound is “Spectacular”. This is why I am asking for a copy of the original drumset “Quantized” so some of the imperfections are already gone that I wouldn’t have to mess with. Thanks for letting me explain to you in detail about my setup with my Beat Buddy. Even though I have to do quite a bit to get the quality of the sound to my high standards, it still makes the Beat Buddy one great pedal to have on my Pedalboard.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.

Actually, I run my signal through an EQ before it reaches the Beat Buddy where it’s still a mono signal. Where I get some of the EQ for the Beat Buddy is in the Control Box I built just for the Beat Buddy to help antennuate the signal due to the “High Output” of the Beat Buddy. I also added some Tone Controls to take the Harsh Edge off the Cymbals. It balances out the signal perfectly and I run the Volume on the Beat Buddy at 40%, the Control Box Volume is set at 40% and the Tone set at 30% through .1mfd Capacitors. So the Beat Buddy signal is actually cut by 80% from it’s original signal. This balances it out to better match the Digitech JamMan Stereo Delay Looper Pedal and I get a very nice balance for recording. After the JamMan Stereo Delay Looper, the signal goes into the Alesis MultiMix4 Mixer and then out to both amps. The Mixer is where I tap out for the recorder. I am actually using the BB both channels by then. The original signal flows through a BBE Sonic Maximizer just on one side to get the good separation of the signal. I did have a Flanger in there too but it became too noisy so it had to be removed. If I had to do it over again and I still might just do it that way is to run direct out of both channels on the BB into two MXR M108 Mixers then on to the JamMan Stereo Delay Looper. This way the output of the Beat Buddy could be EQ’d a little more closely which would probably sound better overall. What most people don’t know is that I “Quantize” the Drum Tracks with Beat Builder and also lower the volumes of each of the drum hits as well so the signal is very smooth coming out of the Beat Buddy itself. It’s ablsolute “Butter” by the time it reaches the Mixer. Absolute Heaven and it’s “Dead On The Beat”. The “Double Bass” hits from the fills are removed in the Beat Builder as well so all the corrections are also made to the Beats. It doesn’t get any better than this and all of the “Imperfections” are taken out of the picture (so to speak) and the sound is “Spectacular”. This is why I am asking for a copy of the original drumset “Quantized” so some of the imperfections are already gone that I wouldn’t have to mess with. Thanks for letting me explain to you in detail about my setup with my Beat Buddy. Even though I have to do quite a bit to get the quality of the sound to my high standards, it still makes the Beat Buddy one great pedal to have on my Pedalboard.

I give. Can someone explain or direct me to the most current way to sync the vl3 to the beatbuddy?! I’ve been reading for hours with no luck. It shows the midi flash in on the vl3 but the loop will eventually become out of sync when I let it play back for a couple of minutes. I’m sure I’m just not configured properly but I’m at a loss. Please help! Thanks!!

Make sure the VL3 metronome is on when tying to sync with the BB. It won’t sync otherwise. You can put it on mute but it has to be activated.

I’ll give this a shot! I figured it had to be something little like that. Thanks!

make sure that in the Setup menu on VL3 you tab over to Midi (on top of the screen) make sure the Source is Midi Ports and not Usb,

Does the VL3 need to be on “quantize”? I think that may be the answer as well?

I’ve only been able to get it to work with it set on Quantize. Quantize only works with the metronome active, so I mute the metronome. As a side note, as I’ve mentioned before, I’ve only been able to get it to work with 4/4 and 3/4 time. If you’re trying to do something in 6/8, you’re out of luck.

I think this is true! I have been playing with all modes all day. I’m determined to figure this dang thing out. Every mode seems to drift but quantize. The 6/8 is a bummer but I’m already ahead of where I was with my old setup. I’m taking baby steps and only hoping to loop rhythm chords over a beat and solo at this point. I couldn’t do that with my rc-20 so I’m making progress.

And remember to switch it back to USB when you want to connect it to your computer for updates.

I have one and love it. The BB plays along just fine, I tried the Ditto, the infinity and finally VL3. Watched every vid I could.
The harmony effects alone are brilliant. the looper is decent, and the guitar amp modeling and effects are also decent. Also the built in ear monitor is one other advantage. Great unit.

I see you have the Beatbuddy headphone output into the VL3 aux in.
What a great set up, could you explain all the ins and outs for us?

I initially thought the VL3 might not need a pedalboard?
The Beatbuddy and its two button external switch move away from me a lot in use.
I thought of attaching them to VL3 in some way. But what you have done looks great.
Can i ask how wide the “box” is also?

Thanks heaps

So does the VL3 respond to the stop command from the BB? This is one good thing about the Infinity. I am doubling these days on bass and guitar and would like to use as simple a rig as possible. For some shows where I’m bringing a PA, I run bass direct to my mixer, would be great to also run guitar direct as well. Pedal board won’t cut it, but VL3 would. Plus the vox harmony is a bonus.

It doesn’t not stop the Vl3 like the Infinity will. I had the Infinity first and it worked great in that regard. However, I felt the vl3 far exceeded the features of the Infinity so I went vl3. I would love this feature too. I anxiously await the day when they make it happen!

The latest VL3 update allows you to use Smart Sync as well as Quantize with the BB. Also, you can make it default to MET ON, so you don’t have to poke the MET ON button each time you change songs. I’m still trying to decide what makes Smart any different from Quantize, however. And BTW, if you run things from an iPad loaded with Set List Maker, you can preset each song’s tempo via SLM, and everything syncs up after about 10 seconds. Man, I sure do love automation!

hye everyone this post is a little bit old but if someone can tell us if now synchronising bb and voice live3 is really ok and if it posible to do gigs with those 2 connected etc !!! I Hope you’ll understand my english lool;):confused:

wow this looks awesome! Sadly its above my desired price range. Already have a guitar effects pedal board (Line6 Firehawk FX) so dont need to double up on that. They need to make a VL3 unit that is just the looper function with an Aux jack to play along with your music and the MIDI sync for the BB for those of us who have less $$ and dont need all the extras (vocals/guitar efx) :slight_smile: Meaning, fix the Ditto X4 midi sync issue.
Very cool that there is another option for many others out there though.

tc helicon play acoustic is cheaper but I don’t know if it’s possible to sync with BB any ideas ??:(:slight_smile: