Pause/start function

Hi guys, I’m trying to use the optional controller (original singular sound two buttons) for pause and restart the BeatBuddy when I’m performing but I’m blocked by a feature: the BeatBuddy continues to count the tempo and unpause from the point it is at. I play 50s rock’n’roll and rockabilly and you know that there are many pauses in the songs but they aren’t perfectly on the measures, sometimes there are more than 4 beats or sometimes needs some breath to make the groove. (sorry for my little English). How could I do to restart, after the pause, from the first beat of the song (without the intro)? Thanks for the help

BB settings>main pedal>mute pause>set to midi actived this top looper and beatbuddy and restart both at the first beat

Disable count in

is that you want ?

Hi there,

I just want to make sure you are not confusing Stop and Pause. When the BeatBuddy is Paused, the screen is black.

The only way to pause is by using an external footswitch or a MIDI controller. The BeatBuddy does not play an intro if you pause and unpause using the footswitch. Unless I misunderstand you, the BeatBuddy already does this. Please make sure you are at least on version 3.8.0 or try out beta version 4.1.1

Let me know if this was helpful!

1 Like

Thanks a lot Brennan, I’m using the external footswitch (original Singular Sound) and, of course, it doesn’t play the intro with pause/unpause; the problem is that BeatBuddy plays always a fill to restart after unpause and it isn’t fine ever; I play rockabilly and fifties rock’n’roll so the pause/unpause is a tipical phrasing that needs versatility. I’m using 4.0.1 firmware

Thanks for the answer

If you tap the same external footswitch again while paused it unpauses by default, this happens without a fill

Can i use the midi maestro to pause the beat buddy?

Yep! The BeatBuddy pauses when it receives the CC:111 command

CC-111 [0-127] Pause / Unpause the current song

0: Unpause
1: Pause
less than 1: Toggle between pause and unpause|

Check out all the Singular Sound commands here, choose the right sheet at the bottom of the page to view the BeatBuddy commands

Awesome. Thank you. Will that also pause the Aeros loop studio that I have linked?

If the BeatBuddy is set to send MIDI Stop when paused yes

Go to the main menu, Main Pedal > MIDI Settings > MIDI Out > Stop

Stop

• Pause Only: BeatBuddy sends out the MIDI Stop command when BeatBuddy has been paused.
  • Pause and End : BeatBuddy sends out the MIDI Stop command when BeatBuddy has been paused and when the outro ends.
  • End Only: BeatBuddy sends out the MIDI Stop command only when the outro ends.
  • Disable: BeatBuddy never sends out the MIDI Stop command.

I’ve also found a bug in the pause unpause where it will send the wrong beat 1 to looper, if unpausing from an odd beat.

In my old setup (Quantiloop) I could do this reliably by hitting unpause on beat 2 but I don’t remember what settings I had it on. My new setup (rc5) had this old bug pop up last night. Still trying to get rc5 and BB to play nice with external midi control (one switch for both).
Maestro and aeros are out of my price range, and frankly I would be nervous to use them considering all the issues I’ve had with BB and software.

I resonate with the original post that there should be more options as the current selections are ambiguous as to what they actually do.

Hi there,

sorry for the late reply but are you sure you tried this on the latest version 4.1.3?

Let me know, thanks!

It has been a while since your post, but I think I finally found the answer to your (my) question. I use the left switch for crash cymbal and the right switch to pause/un-pause. The firmware update last year changed the action so the un-pause would start with the existing beat, regardless of where it was, instead of beginning on beat 1. I was able to change the action by going to Settings/Main Pedal/Mute Pause/Disable. Changing it to Disable allows the external footswitch button #2 to always start on beat 1 when un-paused. Not at all intuitive, but it works.