New BeatBuddy Firmware (3.8.0 "The MIDI Maestro Support Update")

Hi Everybody!

I’m happy to announce a new version of the BeatBuddy firmware.

This new update is mainly to add support for our new MIDI Maestro product. We also fixed a few bugs that you guys reported to us. The details are below:

3.8.0 Changelog:

• Updated Half / Double time algorithm
    • Resets on stop
    • Waits for the End Of Measure to change while Mute Pause is activated – this keep BeatBuddy in time with other devices
  • Displays Half / Double time on screen when activated
  • Made next part midi message (CC-112) enabled by default (this is crucial for BeatBuddy to work properly with the Aeros).
  • Added enter / exit folder midi message (CC-118, value=1-127)
  • Added scroll up / down commands for songs and folders lists (CC-119, value=0 scrolls down, value=1 scrolls up)
  • Made song and folder list menu big font when scrolling with MIDI commands for easier visibility
  • Selects song currently highlighted in the song menu if no action after 8 seconds
  • Added Midi sync clock setting (Playing not paused) - this turns off MIDI clock when paused
  • Fixed start message always being sent when count-in was activated
  • Fixed midi next part not sent when midi merge activated

Reference: BeatBuddy MIDI Commands spreadsheet

As always, if you find any bugs or have ideas for improving the BeatBuddy, please email us at support@singularsound.com

Download BeatBuddy Firmware 3.8.0 here!

If you happen to find a bug in the new firmware, (first please tell us!) and you would like to revert to a previous version of the firmware, you can use the same update process as in the video above. Just use the older firmware version files.

Previous firmware versions:

BeatBuddy Firmware 3.60

BeatBuddy Firmware 3.20

BeatBuddy Firmware 2.70

BeatBuddy Firmware 2.04

4 Likes

Great, @DavidPackouz, thanks!

Two things:

• Did you mean CC-102, as is the current case?
  • Did you fix the MIDI MERGE problems with cc102? The BB doesn’t pass that command in MERGE mode – which could turn out to be really important if your MIDI chain is MM >> BB >> Aeros (or any other MIDI-controlled device).

EDIT: You said, “Fixed midi next part not sent when midi merge activated,” which I think means yes, we send a CC102 even in MERGE mode. So, I suppose I only have the one question…

:slight_smile:
Thanks!

Joe

@JoeInOttawa yes, I meant CC-102. I guess I could have been clearer. This should be working now. Let me know if you spot any bugs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for this, and for the updated MIDI information. I am looking forward to trying it out in my BB !!

1 Like

Yep thanks guys a welcome update (hahaha assuming it doesn’t break anything :wink: )

1 Like

Tutorial is quick, easy and worked perfectly. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi. Re: the above -

Does this mean the new FW provides the option of having the clock stop (or not) when paused?

I hope so, as it is one of my use cases to pause the BB (the drummer lays out for 4 or 8) while my looper (which needs to stay tempo locked) continues to play the rest of the arrangement. Then I restart the BB (the drummer comes back in), with nary a perturbation in the Force (tempo). :smile:

Yes, exactly! Let me know if it’s working properly for you.

Yes, working as advertised, thanks! In fact, a whole bunch of great additions in 3.80. Kudos to the Singular team!

1 Like

Hi to all im new here and i just got the midi maestro and i dont see the app anywhere. Anyone here know where i can get the midi maestro app for android? thanks.

It’s on the Play Store

1 Like

thanks buddy i got it. Now whenever you guys have a change it will be great if you do a tutorial video on how to use the app as i’m struggling with some feattures here, yes i know im not that tehnological :confused: sorry.

Will be cool that with the expression pedal we use on the midi maestro besides controlling the BPMs we could control de Volume of the beatbuddy using the pedal as a volume pedal, not sure if you thought about it or anyone has ever say it but sometimes rhythms are louder than others or just we want some songs to be not as loud so adding the volume aspect to the midi maestro menu will be awesome. Thanks.

2 Likes

I followed instructions to update firmware
When downloaded I put the SD card in the BB and it does show “UPDATING BEATBUDDY FIRMWARE”
That has been over an hour ago and it has not changed- how long should I wait, or what other options?

The update process should only take a couple of minutes at the most.

• Power the pedal down.
  • Remove the SD card.
  • Wait a couple of minutes.
  • With the power off on the pedal, insert the card.
  • Power the pedal up.
  • Does the pedal power up? If so, check the pedal Settings > About to verify that your firmware has updated to 3.8.0
  • If not, follow the instructions at Pedal does not power on

If you still can’t get the pedal to power up or complete the firmware update, contact Support, support@singularsound.com

Let us know what you had to do to get it working again.

It worked
You’re the best!!

1 Like

Yes, or a manual somewhere

The manual is nearly there! Apologies! All old Manuals are being revamped so BB manual will finally look better, too!

3.8 after update when i pause the beatbuddy usually for me the end of a song. i step on the main pedal to clear the pause so i can que up the next song. But now it still works but it plays the song for a second?

Joe

1 Like

Is there another firmware update we need to install I am on 3.9