BeatBuddy Firmware 3.9.x "MIDI Optimizations and Bug Exterminations"

Update: With regards to “This can already be done by sending the CC113 value n and CC113 value 0 commands at once”, it does work - next part is automatically played after the transition with a single ‘Press’ BUT it only plays ONE BAR. So, while this actually mimics the BB Main pedal ‘Press+Hold’ for Transitions, my concern still lies on the ‘Hold’ part for Transitions with more than one bar (max 2, in most of the cases I have) because one has to keep holding the pedal until the next bar starts, before releasing it.

Can this Transition behaviour be changed to be like the ‘Fill’ behaviour, meaning: the Transition will play in full before moving to the next part, either by Press+Hold the main pedal or via a CC113 instruction?
Cheers!

Hey,

We do not like to place non-official versions on the website, that would be very un-tidy. This is a beta run, the next beta that should solve the remaining issues brought to light on this thread should be out very soon, thanks for your feedback!

We can look into this

1 Like

Hi Guyz, another Bug. With firmware 3.8.0 you could pause the song with the foot switch then hold down main pedal to stop the song and then select another song. Now with 3.9.3 when you pause the song with the foot switch then hold down main pedal to stop the song you can hear a portion of the song just before it stops…Very annoying…lol

1 Like

This is because you have the pedal set to play on the Press instead of the release, it may have changed the setting with the update

2 Likes

Thank you Brennan all sorted mate. Yes I went through all the setting again and reconfigured. Cheers Brennan \m/(>.<)\m/

2 Likes

Hi,

After reading this thread, I believe this belongs here. Here is a link to the issue I have with the 3.9.3 firmware with some info on how I worked around it. I believe “TheWolfe2103” above is having a similar issue?
Maybe this will help?
Thanks

Issue with Jazz Brs Straight 1 - BeatBuddy / Bugs/Help - Singular Sound Forum

Hi @oktonic,

Yes - this exactly the issue I’m had with 3.9.3. … and similar you - downgrading to 3.8.0 resolved that issue … any news of a solution yet @BrennanSingularSound?

I have use the BB with an RC 300 and a GR 55 (using the RC as master midi clock) and this has been fine for years, however have just updated to 3.9.3 and have had problems with the following since the update:

For some reason, tracks in the default Funk, Jaz, Reggae and Pop libraries keep going out of sync. I first noticed it in Reggae, it starts off fine then goes out of time when I use a fill (normally the second time) or use a transition. Strangely it does not happen with the other patterns in the other libraries, I can hit the fill/transition pedal as many times as I like in Rock, Blues, Balad Mini etc. and no problem. The Basic Reggae-straight file in Gig Basics Beats also goes out of sync…

I tried re downloading and replacing the midi_sources files in the default_lib but to no avail.

Can you help?

Thanks

Hi Camb,
Please review my post above and TheWolf’s post. We have similar issues. You can either follow the work around in my post, or roll back. Bit of a needle in the hay stack to find the fills with the problem, so I rolled back to 3.8 and will wait for a fix. The devs are aware of the problem.

I can confirm this problem with 3.9.3 using a fill with the first Funk1 str 16 for example, will cause a timing error usually on the second or third fill. If I pause BB and unpause, the timing can be correct again, or if I stop BB and start again, timing is good again. It’s sounds like the second fill does a double beat?

I installed 3.9.3 which fixed one problem with the transition. Now I have a new problem. I have an external switch connected and switch 1 when playing pauses and switch 2 does the outro. So what I do for an ending on most songs is I would do a fill and then hit the first switch to pause the song right at the end. While the song was paused I would hit switch 2 and that would just stop the song and not do the outro. Now when the song is paused hitting switch 2 does nothing. I have to unpause the song and hit the outro to stop the song. Is there a new setting for the switch I can change? If not would you please fix this?

So you’re saying I should hold on to the version I’m currently running, because it ain’t broke.

Thanks for that!

Downloaded and Installed 3.93 and the New Manual

Everything seems to work great Thanks … :sunglasses: :guitar:

Thanks oktronic, have rolled back firmware and all good now. Will wait for the fix…

Trying to start/stop the looper on Eventide H9 with BeatBuddy. MIDI start and stop from BeatBuddy to H9 works well when there is a recorded loop in the H9 (makes the loop play and stop), but the BeatBuddy start command does not trigger a recording action when the looper is empty. Is this a firmware issue? Or any other idea on how to solve it? Thanks a lot for any help.
(tried with Firmware 3.9.3 and 3.8.0)

Sounds to me like an issue with the H9 not the BB. The BB is obviously transmitting MIDI Start and Stop, but the H9 doesn’t recognise MIDI Start as a signal to start recording when the looper is empty. There is no way that the BB can tell whether the H9 has a recorded loop or whether it is empty.

@ajerni
The Midi specification states that the start midi message should begin playback of a slave device. This is what is happening when the H9 has a recorded loop, it is playing back the stored information. If there is no information it will not play. The start command does not start recording, you should use a midi CC command for this.

That would be CC 13 (value 127) to be sent to the H9. How can I send that along when I start the BeatBuddy? I have the MidiMaestro as well, so should be possible to do it on one “kick” somehow?

In the H9 Looper docs however it is stated, that MIDI start message should trigger recording. That is where my first question came from.

Thanks for your help.

Hi All!

Although this post concerns more looping (here) I’m reposting here because I think I may have experienced some bugs in the latest firmware 3.9.3,
I recently purchased the Boss RC-500 looper along with the MIDI cables/adaptors to connect this unit with the BB for syncing.

This ongoing process of studying/practicing the sync between the two units led me to a few preliminary conclusions, which require further investigation and confirmation.

Summary:
i) RC500 (sync master) and BB (sync slave) seems to work fine in terms of sync, but it’s not exactly the kind functionality that I’m looking for, mostly because RC500 as master doesn’t support the BB versatility, e.g. how intro, main rhythm, etc start/stop automatically.
Anyways, I think I didn’t explore this approach enough so requires more experimentation on my behalf to understand the possibilities.
ii) BB (sync master) and RC500 (sync slave) looses sync when the fill “part1-fill3” is triggered from the song “Pop1-16ths”. This raises a suspicion that there’s a problem in this specific drum fill (sounds like that ends with a syncope). Other users reported similar problems with other songs, which raises suspicion of the latest firmware 3.9.3 update, as all complaining users were using the 3.9.x version. This requires further confirmation/testing.
For these reasons I kept testing/debugging the settings with this song and haven’t tested properly others.

For the second ii) approach I set BB and RC500 with the following settings (the parameters that seem relevant at the moment):

– BB SETTINGS (Firmware 3.9.3)
1) BB -> Main Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI IN -> System Real Time ->
1.1) Sync: enable
1.2) Start: enable
1.3) Stop: enable
2) BB -> Main Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI IN ->
2.1) MIDI In Channel Number: 16 (related to RC500 parameter a.4)
2.2) Note On: disable
2.3) Control-Change: enable
2.4) Program-Change: disable
3) BB -> Main Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI OUT ->
3.1) Output Type: Midi-out
3.2) Channel: 10 (related to RC500 parameters a.1 and a.3)
3.3) Sync: Always-on (important to be sync master, sends out midi tempo clock)
3.4) Start: Main Beat
3.5) Stop: Pause and End
3.6) Notes: disable
3.7) Next Part: enable
3.8) Time signature: enable
4) BB -> Main Pedal ->
4.1) Mute Pause: Midi-activated (!!!automatic when BB acts as slave)
4.2) Cue Fill Period: Next-half-beat (!!!)

– RC500 SETTINGS (Firmware 1.02)
a) Menu -> MIDI ->
a.1) Rx CTL: 10
a.2) Omni: off
a.3) Rx Note CH: 10
a.4) Tx CH: 16
a.5) Sync Clock: MIDI (or AUTO)
a.6) Clock Out: off (to be sync slave)
a.7) Sync Start: All
a.8) PC Out: off
a.9) MIDI THRU: off
b) Memory -> REC ->
b.1) Quantize: off (I also tried ‘on’)
b.2) Loop Length: Auto
c) Memory -> PLAY ->
c.1) Play Mode: Multi
c.2) Single Change: Loop End
c.3) All Start: All
c.4) TRK Chain: Parallel
d) Memory -> RHYTHM ->
d.1) Var.Change: Measure
d.2) BEAT: 4/4
d.3) Start: Rec End
d.4) Stop: Loop Stop

–Other observations:
––The time signature information sent by BB is not supported by RC500 apparently, perhaps a feature request to Boss for future firmware revisions. I imagine this is important if quantize is activated in the RC500. There is a parameter to change time signature under ‘Rhythm’ menu, but to the best of my knowledge it’s not accessible through MIDI messages.
––You might wish to disable BB ‘intro’ when RC500 is sync master. At the end of loop recording the RC500 sends a ‘start’ message to BB, if ‘intro’ is enabled BB begins the loop with the intro drum fill and then after the goes to the main groove.

Please share your experience and thoughts, I will had update this post has I gather more info.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi,

I tried 3.9.3 and found it unstable in my rig and have gone back to 3.80.

Feature request:

I use Camelot Pro for managing my rig (scene changes, etc.).

The CC102 scheme where it sends out the part number is less than ideal for Camelot Pro, which has a “Next Scene” remote control option.

Could you add a configuration setting the sends a specific CC/value when the pedal is held to transition to the next part?

Thanks,
Dov