Midi maestro expression pedal in custom mode note sending midi

i’m not sure how to do the above?

1 Like

I think you cannot send midi CC with the Pedal

I’m not sure but I think
The pedal can just slow down and up the Beatbuddy tempo

This will be fixed with a newer version of the MIDI Maestro apps, but if you are saying the expression pedal does not work at all:

1. Use the app to do a firmware update of your unit
  2. Update the default modes using the app after firmware update
  3. Load.a custom mode into the device again

When will the expression control on the maestro work for volume control ??

1 Like

Hi there, volume control for which unit?

New app versions are out, custom EXP support is working now!

Hi for the midi maestro unit , expression out to control volume on the BB
If this has been implemented how ?? I have the tempo working tried the cc values 108 , didn’t work just turned the maestro to blank screen ,
What firmware does the BB need to be on to make this work as I’m one behind the latest .

Thanks for coming back so quickly
Best
Grant

1 Like

First, please make sure you have the latest version of the MIDI Maestro app in the Apple or Google Play Store, the latest app version is 1.5.0

Then, please verify that your unit is on MIDI Maestro Firmware version 1.1.7, you can check this on the MIDI Maestro. Just go to the main menu and look at the bottom left screen to see what version you are on.

If you are not on 1.1.7 please follow these steps:

Update MIDI Maestro Firmware

Once you’ve verified the app is up-to-date, hold the pairing button on the MIDI Maestro’s back panel to enter pairing mode (You do not have to connect your phone directly to the MIDI Maestro using bluetooth in order to use it with the MM app, you just need to have your phone’s bluetooth enabled). Once the blue light at the top of the MIDI Maestro’s front panel is blinking, press Update Firmware on the MM app menu to update the MIDI Maestro firmware. If you’re up to date, the app will cancel the update and let you know you’re already up to date.

Update MIDI Maestro Default Modes

Note: Always update firmware before updating the default modes.

Occasionally, we will modify the Default Modes on the MIDI Maestro. In order to be sure you have the latest versions, hit Update Default Modes on the MM app menu. If you’re up-to-date, the app will cancel the update and let you know they’re already up to date.

As soon as you’re sure both are up to date, power-cycle (turn off and back on) your MIDI Maestro to finalize the updates.

Custom Modes

Note: Always update the Firmware and default modes before uploading your custom mode.

Once you have done this you can set up the expression pedal as follows, this is on the latest manual pgs 48 and 49

The app now has the function to set up what commands will be sent as the EXP pedal is manipulated. You can find this setup page in the menu.

First, select the increasing function, by default this is CC80

Next, decide on which channel it will be sent, by default this is channel 1

Do the same steps to set up the decreasing command

Likely both will send to the same channel

Click on the Default button to reset to the factory default values.

Remember, you must write the custom mode to the MIDI Maestro again for this change to be seen on the device. The EXP pedal will only exhibit this behavior when the custom mode is open on the MIDI Meastro. The Default Modes will still send the default values.

The new function of adding cc108 BB volume control is not working for me also. I was looking over the CC midi sheet. Singular sounds needs to test this again. Wouldn’t you need let’s say a CC108 for increase volume and a CC.xxx…for decrease volume, just saying. The setup should be like the tempo, but it’s not, just saying

Hi , any joy on a solution for the expression volume not working ?

I tried two methods:

Set the “Incrementing Command” to CC108 on CH 1, AND “Decrementing Command”, to CC108 on CH 1
After sync, the Beat buddy saw the volume commands, but volume level is irratic, looks like it may be confused between a Volume up and down at the same time, so the Volume value jumps around.

To try avoid up / down conflict, I tried to only put one value in for Incrementing, but the software will not accept an empty value.

So I tried two different channels, set the “Incrementing Command” to CC108 on CH 1, AND “Decrementing Command”, to CC108 on CH 2.

Still the same irregular, erratic volume adjustment.
Note: that I did calibrate the pedal both times.

Please can Singular Sound programmers provide the various combinations of CC codes they used when testing the new upgrade. (Volume is the most requested, but there may be other combinations that are useful too)

I have been interested in foot control of BB volume too, and was just going to get a small volume pedal to put after the beat buddy audio out… is there any big advantage to using exp pedal/midi for that? are you able to use the exp pedal to do other functions, too?

Thanks!

Hi depends on the volume pedal , I tried a Ernie ball jr (not active )after the beat buddy and it was difficult to set the volume ok if you just want to kill the volume quickly and bring back in,

With an expression pedal you can set to a fixed number exactly , you can set min and max volumes also, but currently the volume expression is not working correctly via midi maestro .
I’m currently using a source audio reflex to control the volume via midi but it’s an overkill for such a simple command.

If I’m reading the manual correctly, CC108 is not an incrementing command, it is used to set the volume exactly (say to 120 BPM), Whereas tempo has two CC commands 80 & 81 for this purpose.

Singular, are there any plans to implement Midi CC commands on the Beatbuddy to support incrementing & decrementing? Or is there a work-around to accomplish this using the MM app?

Hey all,

Thank you for your patience,

We are aware now that there was a missing aspect to the app that would allow for controlling things much like the BeatBuddy volume, the original behavior was hardcoded to work for the BeatBuddy tempo behavior.

We apologize for the delay, but on the bright side, we are working on an update that will fix this issue and allow you to change between the current behavior and a new behavior “positional” that will send cc values based on the position of the pedal and will only send one cc value

This will require a firmware update of the MM which will be available with the next version of the app following 1.5.1

Thanks for your feedback!

Hello,

Is there a midi cable that I can use to connect the Beatbuddy directly to the Midimaestro.

Without this Y-cable from “Singular Sound BeatBuddy Midi Sync Cable”

Best regards

Hello. I have an exp pedal connected to the Midi Maestro. Was there ever a fix for the volume control?

I guess this thread is dead

Hi there,

The thread is not “dead” in fact the MM app was updated to version 1.6.1 last week! Please update the MM firmware and the default modes once you download the new app.

More info on this update here: