Aeros firmware 3.4.x

Hi there fellow Aerosnauts!

Edit (March 4, 2021): Aeros Firmware 3.4.2 is now an official version and has been released for download over the WIFI. (Changelog below)

We have updated the Aeros Manual and the Aeros Manual - Printer Friendly Version (no background colors to use up your ink).

Make sure your Aeros is close to your WIFI router for a strong connection (using your phone’s hotspot feature as a wifi network and placing your phone near the Aeros works well). If you have trouble updating with the WIFI , update with the SD card (note: the SD card must be between 4-32 GB in capacity): : Download this file , rename the downloaded file (currently named aeros-3.4.2.bin) to aeros.bin and then place it on an SD card and into your Aeros before turning it on.

IMPORTANT: Turn off your Aeros BEFORE putting in the SD card. Putting in the SD card while Aeros is on and then immediately turning it off can corrupt the firmware file.

To go back to the previous official firmware, use the same SD card update method to install the last official version 3.3.0

The full changelog is below. If anyone discovers any bugs/issues, please post about it (nicely) below :slight_smile:

Firmware 3.4.2 Changelog

• Add acceleration to the volume wheel to make large volume changes easier (moving volume wheel faster has a larger effect on volume changes)
  • Factory reset added to bottom of settings page (Erases All Content and Settings)
  • Don’t reset lock tracks settings when clearing a song of recordings. Allows starting same song over again faster
  • Block all Midi commands except : CC34, 35, 36, 85 and 127 when outside Loop studio. Prevents unwanted playback when not in Loop Studio
  • Leave Loop Studio with a long press on play/stop button (when song is empty)
  • Tap touchscreen to select track in mixer without moving volume slider. This prevents unwanted volume changes when selecting a track. To move volume slider with the touchscreen, tap the slider a second time and drag it to the desired level
  • Low memory warning

Bug Fixes:

• Error handling when memory is full
  • Upcoming tracks not showing in count-in
  • Count-in UI labels
  • Count-in with midi clock logic
  • Overdub/rec drop delay not working at low bpm
  • Some button presses are ignored
  • Footswitch buttons event logic
  • Volume wheel snaps to 0 dB for 800ms when going up
  • Increase volume slider 0 dB snap range to ±3 dB
  • UI not syncing when record is canceled
  • Toggling of pending overdub while transitioning part

What we’re working on next:

• Extending recording times
  • MIDI capability expansion
14 Likes

Is this essentially the “Park” feature folks have asked for? So if you’re on any screen outside Loop Studio (Home for example), any press on the BeatBuddy will not start the Aeros?

1 Like

Yes.

6 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Thank you!

I assume midi works when in the Mixer which is considered part of the loop studio.

I can see some use cases where allowing midi on the Songs page might be useful.

What is CC 85? It’s not in the latest documentation.

Would love to do this while the song is playing … to park/unpark the midi handsfree (e.g., to change the drums without changing the loop).

Hopefully a more generic hands free feature is added at some point. Ideally it can be used whether or not stopped/playing/tracks recorded, etc. ideally it has more than one command (e.g., menu) that is configurable to the commands I use often.

This is now the behavior when pressing and holding the stop button? Is it an option? Seems confusing to have a clear feature that doesn’t clear everything by default.

Imho the big issue here is that clearing a song is touted as an easier way to create a new song. If you make an easy, hands free way to create a new song without cluttering up the song list until I save it, then the above issue is less concerning.

Might be some odd bugs as a result as well. There already is a bug reported in prior firmware where a cleared song cannot change to/from freeform mode. I assume the above will have issues with switching 2x2 to/from 6x6?

Where do I report bugs for this new firmware? I just tried the new firmware and testing. In settings page scrolling real slow upwards on the wheel (doesn’t seem to do it on scrolling downwards so far) sometimes make the wheel speed up real fast back to the starting point by itself?

P.S: just tried the scroll wheel with the mixer and it’s behaviour is the same when scrolling upwards. It’ll jump off and on in big gaps when scrolling up slowly.

Unless " acceleration to the volume wheel" is exactly what it’s doing? If so then dismiss this, but I find it’s a bit annoying on the settings page to jump around like that and on the mixer tracks to be honest but that’s just me.

This is great news. Thanks for listening on this feature.

This is a positive sounding release on the whole for me. There’s no huge new features in general, but my guess is that that means you’re spending time on bug fixes, but more importantly on architecture and organisation of source. Personally, I love seeing work like that going on, it means the project is paying down technical debt and can only become a more solid platform for the future features we will all appreciate.

Here’s hoping my guess is right.

2 Likes

This worked great whenever I was on the Home screen, even after loading and playing a song, and then manually going back to the Home screen. It didn’t work for me when I tested it on the Song page if I had previously loaded a song though.

Is there a way to go from the Loop Studio (with a full song/loop) back to the Home screen hands-free?

Oh this is the one I have been waiting for. This is a huge step forward for me. Well done guys and thank you! :+1:

2 Likes

Any forward progress is a big plus for me. It certainly means those midi features I’ve been waiting on are closer today than they were yesterday! Way to go Singular Team!

5 Likes

look forward to the midi thing, also the locked thing not resetting could be a good thing too thanks

1 Like

This is great news :metal:

4 Likes

“Expanded MIDI capabilities”

Hopefully this means we’ll get a “play” cc# and value command. However if I set cc# 41 and value 1 I can start recording and if I double tap footswitch it’ll begin playback but only for track 1. After that if I hit footswitch it moves to next part then hit switch next part etc… etc… (I’m using a roland fs-5u into my boss sy-1000) with commands sent from sy-1000 to aeros via midi. However I’d love some dedicated record / play / stop cc# stuff.

maybe a little bit of a tangent sorry for that but does the control pedal like fs7 boss switch do anything connected to aeros? like midi functions? but through the pedal?

Nah they’re not midi controllers by themselves, so won’t do anything on their own. Only reason my fs-5U is working is because I have it connected to my boss sy-1000 and inside the sy-1000 there’s this “matrix” type thing where you can set any footswitch connected too it to do anything and it has MIDI CC# as an option, so I run midi out on sy-1000 to midi in on aeros, and then put in the cc# and value for whatever footswitch (like a midi controller) and use it etc…

Is there a way to go from the Loop Studio (with a full song/loop) back to the Home screen hands-free or is that a separate MIDI command I’d have to program?

1 Like

This is needed for a MIDI self test, not used for anything else. Since it is part of the backdoor functionality and has no other use, we don’t include it in the documentation

We will likely build a MIDI go to home command to help with this, first we have to deal with that annoying extra save request, which I personally despise and will be glad to do away with it

We do intend on looking at stabdalong hands-free expansion for this too

This is the new norm, to make locking less annoying if you intend to start over many times. Feel free to suggest an alternative to this behavior!

We have some ideas for this, and as to the clutter, we are considering allowing deletion of empty songs when switching songs, possibly by having a pop saying something along the lines of: This song is empty, would you like to delete it?

Here is fine but if you want to track an issue you must post it as its own topic as outlined in the Bug Report doc. Make your post in the Aeros Bugs/Help section, thanks!

We are looking into this issue, thanks for reporting

Not directly unfortunately, the best option now is to save and go to the songs list or save and create a new blank song (using MIDI).

We have plans to expand hands-free capabilities standalone on the looper but Dev has told us this has implications that could take a while to implement and so we want to look at other pressing issues first, this is probably not long after MIDI expansion is done.

^

1 Like

The easy solution is to have a global setting: “Clear Preserves Lock Settings”.

This is not just empty songs. It is “scratch” songs which you never intended to save.

Adding an audio preview of a song in the song list and the ability to delete the current song (force me to choose another song to load if you must … but …) would also make cleaning up the song list easier.

Thank you! Update worked perfectly. Definitely looking forward to extended recording times for your next release. Have you decided on the new maximum length?

1 Like