New Firmware Release Notes (2.7.0 “The Tempo Update”)
Tap Tempo Overhaul
One of the main focuses of this update was to improve the ease of use and accuracy of the BeatBuddy’s Tap Tempo functionality. With this in mind we made a few key improvements:
- The BeatBuddy now rounds Tap Tempo to the nearest whole integer, avoiding non-whole number BPM values (e.g. 120.54 BPM).
- We added new behavior which adjusts the Tap tempo to the current time signature. So if the beat is 6/8 you will be tapping to the 8th notes (not to the quarter notes as previously)
- We also made changes to the BeatBuddy’s Tempo UI Screen, now whenever the tempo is adjusted it brings up a screen with tempo in big numbers, which are easily read from standing distance. This should result in more visual feedback at a glance, helping to further improve the ease of use for BeatBuddy’s Tempo function.
- Lastly, if you’re tapping out the tempo with the button, footswitch, or an external controller, the main pedal no longer does tap tempo and can be used to start a song immediately, even in the tap tempo screen. The exception to this is if you entered tap tempo mode by holding down the main pedal while the song was stopped (then the main pedal acts like the tap button).
Enable/Disable Outro Fills
You now have the ability to disable outros in the BeatBuddy’s settings. This was requested often, and behaves similarly to the already present ability to enable/disable intros.
More MIDI Commands
We’ve begun to implement some more functionality into the BeatBuddy in preparation for our upcoming pedals. These changes include:
- The ability to control tempo incrementally using custom CC messages. (CC-80 for increment and CC-81 for decrement, with the value of command representing the size of increment/decrement)
- Previous part command for CC-113 when value is 126.
- Added long name support (up to 256 characters)
- Added support for MIDI notes as accent hits
- Added support for Human Readable Name (HRN) drumsets in metadata
- Fixed potential bug with MIDI merge
- Fixed outro called from external footswitch bug
- Using MIDI commands to change the tempo results in the new tap tempo screen staying on indefinitely. You should be able to clear the screen by starting a song if this happens to you. Our developer is working on a fix.
Also, a video from David which shows the new UI: https://youtu.be/JZR3V-qIeFQ