MIDI Maps 2018-02-25 - Various

This is a compilation of sorts of the different MIDI maps and reference sources that users have shared here on the forum and that are probably no longer accessible to download. As I don’t recall who posted these, I am unable to accredit those who have been so generous in sharing their reference tools. :confused:

The files are either text or pdf:

• GM map
  • keyboard-midi-0-127
  • BB Drum Mapping-JM
  • BB Standar, Ethereal, Rock,
  • General MIDI Drum Kit Map--M
  • Kits

Download Here

6 Likes

@persist Is there a published document listing the midi mappings for the shipping kits? I would have expected to find that here: https://singularsound-publicly-downloadable.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/manuals/BeatBuddy-MIDISettings-Firmware-v1.77.pdf (which is the most recent information posted on the product page).

I am not aware of any official SS document mapping the MIDI for the BeatBuddy default drum sets. As I used a digital audio workstation (DAW) more and more, I began to remember how the drums instruments were mapped (i.e., what’s present in which positions or what drum instruments were missing). It’s easier for me now to just use one or two kits for the sake of limited neural capacity and energy. :laughing:

The file I posted above was what I collected over time from the forum. There were probably many other (complete) MIDI maps but I think they disappeared after the great SS forum server crash of '17 :unamused:

This seems like it would be something especially useful to end users and not a heavy lift to generate. To reiterate, the proper place for this is on the product page as opposed to searchable in the forums.

Perhaps something Singular Sound could tackle; maybe include their premium kits’ mapping as well.

3 Likes

this is super helpful, Thanks ! Been having issues moving my logic made MIDI drums into BB ( sounds not being triggered once in BB). I think this might be the fix

Is there an easier way to “change” all the MIDI data made in logic using addictive drums so that it works in BB ? Other than manually editing and moving the MIDI data in Logic so it makes the right sounds in BB ? Any help would be appreciated. I have many originals Id like to add into my BB

or a simpler request maybe. If I was to just “re record” the drums in LOGIC again, was settings should I change in Logic so that the MIDI tracks will “translate” perfect into BB’s format ? thanks

Thanks ‘Persist’ for uploading these maps. 2 of the included files are “.textClipping” format (and one of those is 0 kb file size), and I can’t seem to find what kind of software to open that.

Singular Sound truly should publish a map for each of the drumsets that they sell. I’ve bought a few drumsets from them, but will not buy another unless it comes with a corresponding MIDI map.

I’ve put a spreadsheet together with quite a number of drum sets - just have a look if this is of any help! Needed to put it into a ZIP file for uploading.

Just for others seeing this thread… another path I went down was to buy Goran’s Handy Drums plug in… and I downloaded his MIDI map. I use Cubase but any other DAW should do the same. I just bought the Rock one to get things aligning closely.

All you do is plug in the VST Handy drums to get the sounds exactly like the Beat Buddy (Goran did the sounds for the BB)… and you use his MIDI map to get notes aligning to where they should. This has helped me no end with cutting up MIDI files to import to BB… even my older original tracks.

Goran Grooves Handy drums:

Gary,

Thanks for posting about VST Handy Drums! So are you saying his rock set uses the same samples the rock set in the BeatBuddy? And his standard set is the same as the BB standard?

Also where did you find his Midi map? Is it posted on his site?

Look under Virtual Instruments>drum maps.

So I tried doing this. I actually contact Goran who heads up the company. (He responded to my questions on a Sunday - how’s that for impressive customer service).

It cost about $39 to buy the standard drum set. Not unreasonable. It is exactly the same sounds which is great. The plug-in works just fine in Apple Logic which is where I make and edit MIDI beats.

Only annoying thing is that the plug-in does not display any names for any of the beats. For the Apple Logic built-in drums there is an option in the “piano roll” (MIDI editor) to display drum part names. But that does not work for for the GoranGrooves plug-in. I can work around it by having creating a graphic for myself with a keyboard view and the values and printing it out and putting it on my desk, but still a bit of a pain.

GoranGrooves uses Cubase and has MIDI maps for that. Maybe I’ll see if I can get a trial of Cubase LE and test it out for MIDI editing. Might be easier.

I use Cubase as well. The map works well but I still don’t think I see the instruments on the keys. I found the toms are still in odd places with a gap between them… but I can live with it… because that’s how the BB is and this is what I’m targeting.
Cakewalk has also become free and I’m having a play with it to see if it is better for simpler things like this (I’m using Windows, though, you may not be able to try it?)

I actually found a YouTube video with a process to create custom drum map for third party plugins. It’s not as difficult as it may appear. It took my about 15 minutes to create a Template for Goran Standard. You do have to do some work in the Logic Environment window, so I do not know if this is shareable between users.

I have no idea if this will work without having done the Environment stuff yourself, but you’re welcome to give it a try. I am on Logic 10.7.7.

Mapped Goran Standard.zip (166.8 KB)

1 Like