Aeros Firmware 5.1.x

Hey all,

This has been fixed internally and we are just finalizing the new version 5.2.x which will fix the majority of the pops, if not all, and also bring the Aeros to a completely new level of potential for your live shows and performances. Loop decay is sounding pretty cool! Very excited personally.

Check out the full post here:

We hope to have it ready very soon! Thanks for all the feedback :slight_smile:

This is not something that happens for an entire performance, only if you do not stop the Aeros for more than 10 min or so, which is very uncommon, most songs are about 5 minutes longest live.

If the Aeros is stopped and restarted, the BPM mismatch issue is reset.

This is something we plan to look into more, but it is not currently a major priority since it is not the most common use case.

This is most definitely not the case, there is no difference between any Aeros of the same kind (Legacy/Gold edition) and the only difference between the two types of Aeros are the physical buttons.

5.2.x will have one shot parts yes

Thanks for the questions and feedback!

1 Like

The loud pops sometimes are comming from loud signal . the last firmware is more sensible to peaks and is not always showing when you are in the red zone . When you save the project , the unit will transform the clipped part in to a loud pop . In the las firmware they something changed with the fade algorithm and started to do pops at the fade point . Also you can get pops when you start the unit and play a song that you already recorded ) iā€™ll have one pop there and one pop when iā€™m changing to the next part . That;s why when a play live i will press play and change to the next part without sound in the monitors )) to get over the initial poppinness :smiley: after that i can play normally .

There are definitely a few of us for which this is a big problem. Previously, it was going to be fixed ā€œin the subsequent firmware releaseā€. Now it will be ā€œlooked into, but itā€™s not a major priority.ā€ Reading between the lines, it sounds like I shouldnā€™t be anticipating a fix for this.

Somehow, I got the impression that this bug was introduced in 5.0. Do you know if thatā€™s true, and if itā€™s possible to download old firmware versions? Installing the latest 4.x might be a solution for me if so.

1 Like

Here is the 4.2.4 if you want

1 Like

I updated in September after a year of no issues. After update, I can no longer save songs using different time signatures or different numbers of bars intro. Was told it was a software issue that would be resolved in 3-4 weeks. That was over 4 months ago. I have used lots of workarounds, but I would love to be able to use the Aeros as it is advertised, and was able to do prior to the update.

1 Like
1 Like

I have never ha any issues and if you want aeros to really shine use a mixer with good pres and look out as I use a Yamaha 01v 96 and its killer.All panning is at your finger tips and so much tone control with the beat buddy. I hope superior drummer comes up with a proper drum map as I do trigger superior drummer 3 as a sampler for beat buddy
Also I am on the latest version as well. Zero issues

This is not exactly what is happening, the signal may not hit the 0dB threshold while recording but when you summate the layers on a track after saving they do peak. We also do not have a very gentle clipping algorithm so it does do hard clipping once those peaks are registered post-merging.

The only real answer is to go in with more headroom as well as increase the gain in the amp, mixer, or interface the Aeros is connected to.

The new version will finally allow setting the input level to allow this, we also have a new output level setting which allows even more headroom to avoid output clipping.

Thanks for the feedback!

We hope to have fixed these internally already, more things to try out in the new release, we are optimistic most, if not all, pop issues have been solved

Just to clarify, the issue could not exist prior to 5.x.x because the Aeros was only able to be master as of version 5.0.0, there is no potential for it to have worked in 4.x.x. The bug is a loss of sync if the Aero is not stopped and restarted within 10 min or so of continuous playback

We do not think most users encounter themselves playing back the same song for longer than maybe 5-7 minutes in most cases.

That being said we do want to look into it more, but again it is not a priority

Thanks for the feedback

All previous versions of the Aeros can be found on the forum and are indexed here:

We apologize for any inconvenience but you can always roll back to a previous working firmware if that was working better for you. We do not give out any official timelines, nor do I give any strict timelines to support, we do our best to do things quickly but things take time.

We are aware of your issue and are looking into it,

Version 5.2.x should be up as a beta relatively soon!

Thank you all for the feedback!

Mind blown :exploding_head: that the product is at this stage with a design/implementation like that. Surprised/confused that the mixing (aka summing or summating :wink: ) is different for live use versus stored ā€¦ and that stored would be worse than live).

It would be easier to accept this if Aeros had limitations on the internal and external formats that were forced upon them by some consortium.

Does the saved format have a lower bit depth than what is used live?

1 Like

You may have misunderstood, Iā€™m happy to explain in more depth to be clearer

The Aeros has 3 possible files per track all in the same Stereo Loop Playback stream. The Base layer that was saved to the memory and is being loaded dynamically, the ā€œBaseā€ layer that consists of all merged overdubs that have not been saved and are in the RAM, and the overdub layer which is also in RAM.

Letā€™s say you record two new layers on top of your saved track, but your track was -1dB at some point, and your two new RAM layers are the same level independently at the same time as the saved layer. So far the track is not clipping very audibly because all the files independently are not clipping and the Aeros track itself has more headroom available, but on saving the merging can cause hard clipping because youā€™re well over 0dB once the file is rendered. We have been told by the devs in the past that more time could be spent to make the clipping ā€œless harshā€ and that may be an update weā€™re rapidly approaching given the time to do it is plausible and in fact the code will work as intended. Itā€™s worth bringing up again to them!

This is really only avoidable by lowering the input and doing proper gain staging to avoid the overall mix getting too loud. This is something that will definitely be easier to accomplish in 5.2.x with the included input controls, the input will also be controllable via the EXP pedal. We may eventually explore allowing you to monitor track output levels in the mixer too but that is not currently a priority.

Thanks for the curiosity!

1 Like

Is it also dependent on how many mixdowns you do? Without some form of leveling, each time you mixdown, you get a bit closer to the ceiling. if you overdub enough times, the signal will go above 0db.

A 32 bit mixdown format would provide tremendous amount of headroom.

Other thing to consider are output volume control (since the Aeros makes it so easy to adjust input volumes which thrn clip) and more conservative VU indicators (that go yellow at lower dbā€™s). Some people adjust sound for that max use of headroom ā€¦ which made made sense for some ancient analog equipment.

I happened to open this thread just as I was preparing to apply the pedal board Velcro to my new Aeros looper. I run everything to a mixer, so I should be able to control the levels.

I have a lot of respect for the folks at Singular Sound, but I am confounded by their teasing a purported fix-all, firmware update at NAMM then leaving everyone wondering if and when it will be shared outside the halls of NAMMā€“like with actual Aeros owners??? Their answers related to release date have been nebulous, bordering on cryptic.

That said, I have to appreciate that itā€™s better to be diligently deliberate in developing a product that delivers what they promise.

But the tease is oh so cruel! :grimacing:

Cheers!

Bill

1 Like

This is true yes, but I think that Loop Decay in many ways was made because of this effect of looping forever and hitting a ceiling. We may in the future look into mixdowns features to apply the volume in the mixer to the audio files on saving. This is not currently a priority, but is potentially realistic to do.

This is not possible, the Aeros was not built to run 32 bit audio and the work to do so is not worth it, though it would be neat

There is an true master (Click, input, and playback levels are all affected) output volume already available in 5.1.1 and it will be fixed to work fully in 5.2.x, it currently has a bug that it resets to default with every power cycle.

:grimacing:

We donā€™t mean to tease!

We are giving updates as we have them, we do not give official dates for firmware because they usually face delays when we give them.

Almost there!

Thanks for the feedback

Itā€™s the mixdown format, not the format that audio is ā€œrendered atā€ if that last mile is the issue. That is, store the mixed audio in memory as 32, then move that to 24 bits as the last step. Many devices are 32 bit internal, 24 bit external.

Changing the element size of internal buffers should be trivial especially in typed language.

If this is only an issue when mixing down upon end of the overdub, that would further reduce the scope/effort.

Easy for me to sayā€¦

Beta 5.2.0 is available now! :tada::tada::tada:

Read more here: